Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Tree Removal
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 15:48

I must admit that I'm not a very skilled lumberjack. It is something that I intend to work on. However, I'd really like the trees thinned out around my cottage. There are too many massive trees too close. In particular I'm worried about one of them blowing down onto the cottage and destroying all of my hard work. There are mostly pine and hemlock 40 to 80 feet high, gorgeous and straight. My lot is on a granite hilltop so I worry that thinning trees is going to change the wind dynamics and make trees vulnerable to blow down. Should I clear all of the trees around my cabin? How far out from the cabin should I go?

I am near the Muskoka area of Ontario. Any good contractors that you can recommend who would do this work in that area? I'm looking to have almost a dozen trees removed. What kind of price tag am I looking at?

I've uploaded a picture. Sorry for the terrible quality but it was the only picture I had that showed the proximity and size of the trees (there are large trees out back).
Trees
Trees

DaveBell
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 16:36

Very Good Post. I wish everyone included those details.

1. Have you noticed a prevailing wind direction? If you always get wind from one direction, those trees would be a priority.

I always get wind from the west. I have a leaning one, a split one from lighting, and a dead one - all that the locals told me to take out.

Quoting: KelVarnsen
I am near the Muskoka area of Ontario. Any good contractors that you can recommend who would do this work in that area?

Found this on Google:
http://www.cuttersedgetreeremoval.com/

95XL883
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 17:23

That picture is worth a lot more than a thousand words. You are smart to look for an experienced arborist to drop those. I’m decent with a chainsaw but would hesitate to tackle those. They are so close together they will most likely hang up and not come all the way down. At that point they are referred to as widow makers because it is very difficult to predict which way they will go with the next cut. And making the first cut is no picnic. The first cut is usually done to direct which way the tree falls and even that can’t be guaranteed. As long as I’m piling on the bad news, trees that big will need at least farm grade equipment and pro grade is what should probably be used. As I said, you are wise looking to have this done. I guess one tip you could pick up from this is look at the contractors equipment. Note model numbers and verify it is pro grade. Note how many chains he has for each saw. Experienced woods cutters I’ve talked to routinely go out with a lot of extra chains. They also have a full complement of wedges and for those should have cables and come-a-longs to persuade the trees miss your cabin. Good luck.

lburners
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 19:28

Going to get a lot more sun on the deck if you clear some of those as well.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 20:16

Quoting: lburners
Going to get a lot more sun on the deck if you clear some of those as well.

Yes, aside from the constant fear of being crushed by a falling tree, I'm looking forward to more sun on the deck, not sweeping needles off my roof every 3 days, and a bit of a breeze to keep bugs down.

I found a few more pictures that show the scope of the problem a bit better. I hope it's not going to cost me $500 - $1000 per tree, but it might.
Trees!
Trees!
More Trees!
More Trees!
Even More Trees!
Even More Trees!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 20:52

Unless you want the lumber , I would try to find someone , logger ? that would be interested in the lumber as part payment. I would guess no less than 500 per tree but since they are all in one area you may get a much better deal. Good Luck. I paid 200 for a tree about 16 inch diameter but I only had him take the top off so I could cut the remaining 20 ft log or so. He used a lift and worked from top down.

Bigred292
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 21:51

I had been putting off taking down some trees that were definite widowmakers. I'm located in NH.
I live 2 1/2 hours away and in late November we had a pretty strong windstorm and all I could think about was the cabin. I texted a guy I met up there and asked him to check. Luckily no damage but I had a guy there in 10 days and dropped them for me.
Good dozen at least- dropped them, bucked them and dragged them out to road. Some trees required climbing only. Hooked up with a nice guy doing work nearby and he bought the logs. Paid $1500 to cut and got $700 For the logs.
It is like a different place now. My solar should do much better too. My plan is to install a rainwater system now that the pine needle amount should lower.

Tree feller
# Posted: 5 Mar 2018 22:04

I'm a tree service contractor and if it weren't for the 900 mile trip, I'd be happy to help you out.
It's actually pretty easy to find a good contractor these days, just go online and visit sites like Angie's List.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.