Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Still ms251 frustrations
Smawgunner
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 19:31 - Edited by: Smawgunner

I have maybe 10 hours on this thing. Since I got it, I’ve taken it in once before because it wasn’t oiling properly. And now again, zero oil is coming out...not a drip. I’ve tried the shop vac method to blow it out but no luck. Probably burned up my bar and chain. There is no oil adjustment screw on it. Anyone have issues with theirs?

Guess you can’t edit the title

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 19:58

Nope. I have about 6 hours on my 251, working fine. I did have a hard time starting it last time. I fouled the plug.

95XL883
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 20:00

Geez, that is rough to hear. I have had no problems with either my 170 or my 291 and I don't baby either of them. I know there is a way to adjust the oil flow but I haven't had to. Mine still has a little bit of oil just as the gas runs out. The dealer should fix it for you under warranty (I'm assuming you bought it within the last year.) Wish I could be more help but mine run great.

95XL883
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 20:04

Here is a video on adjusting the oil (I haven't watched it but the videos I've seen have all been helpful.)

vimeo.com › Jim Nelson › Videos

Wish I could be more help.

beachman
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 20:06

Ditto with 95XL883. My Stihl going on 20 years runs fine.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Jun 2018 20:09

Quoting: beachman
Ditto with 95XL883. My Stihl going on 20 years runs fine.

Wow, you guy have those new models.

My newest is a Stihl 026AV I bought new in 1990, made in West Germany.

I have a 70's mint, like new Stihl 041AV super for big stuff.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 7 Jun 2018 17:14

I have always fought my two stroke equipment until a couple years ago when I started paying for the premix 93 octane NO ETHANOL gas. I buy the stuff at Menards and its about five bucks a quart. It's about impossible to get no ethanol gas where I am and that stuff wreaks havoc on my Stihl 170 and Stihl FS90 trimmer. Sure I'm paying 20 a gallon for gas but its worth it when they both start on the second pull after sitting all winter.

I had some ethanol gas this spring that had sat from last summer at the cabin and I could barely light the stuff with a lighter. I found this out a couple weeks ago when I dumped it in my rider (Kohler four stroke) and the damn thing would only run with a full choke and then barely.

I know your problem is with the oiler but I thought others may appreciate the tip. Also, the new Stihl sharpeners are great if you are an idiot like me.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Jun 2018 17:35

Quoting: RiverCabin
I started paying for the premix 93 octane NO ETHANOL gas.

Ditto.
After replacing carburetors, mixing all the time, etc. I buy the Stihl gas. No more problems.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 7 Jun 2018 17:55

Well I tore it down to the worm gear Oiler. Nothing looked damaged. Cleaned and blew it all out, put it back together and now oils like a charm! No idea what the issue was.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2018 22:37

Frustrating when you can't see what the issue was.

Just
# Posted: 8 Jun 2018 09:37

Try switching your chain oil sometimes it can be a bit too sticky !

trevoracus
# Posted: 11 Jun 2018 14:19

Quoting: DaveBell
Ditto.
After replacing carburetors, mixing all the time, etc. I buy the Stihl gas. No more problems.

I switched to using this, it costs a lot more, but man does it run nice. The 2 year shelf life as well is something I like.

The only issue I have with my 251 is the pull cord getting caught up. But now I have the process down I can get it going quite easily.

That being said this is my first chainsaw ever. And I have about 30 hours with it now so I am no woods master.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.