Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Haven Fire Suppression System
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 13:50

I was watching Dragon's Den the other day and saw this company on there: Haven Fire Suppression. It's basically a fire extinguisher attached to a heat detector. They go for about $200 Canadian at Lowes.

I was thinking about installing one over top of the back of my propane fridge. I've already had a small incident with my fridge that has me a bit worried. I think these would be a useful addition in certain cabin situations. Does anyone have any experience with these or good use-case scenarios?

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 15:50

Interesting. I like the idea of this product- how toxic is the retardant?

Fanman
# Posted: 18 Jun 2018 18:05

Sounds like a modern day version of the old fire bombs that you still see in some old houses (and cabins!).

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 19 Jun 2018 07:51 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

Quoting: NorthwoodsGuy
how toxic is the retardant?

According to their site "Non-Toxic Environmentally Safe Powder. The dry-chem agent used in the HAVEN is safe when discharged, as it is essentially a form of baking soda."

hueyjazz
# Posted: 19 Jun 2018 11:46

I've had to fight fires before with dry chemical fire extinguishers. You'd be surprise how much dry powder it takes to put out a small fire. You have to hit fire at a direct hit at base to starve fire from oxygen.

Not sure how well this would work for the scenario you described. Seems to me the dry powder would only be release once heat of a well started fire would trigger head. Then powder being release would be fairly indiscriminate.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.