Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Newest member of the Cookout fleet
Cowracer
# Posted: 24 Jul 2018 09:28 - Edited by: Cowracer

So, our cabin is in a lake community, and we are lucky enough to be able to go there almost every weekend. There are a couple families that are usually with us, so meals generally get pretty large. We have a couple of smaller, electric skillets, but then just don't have the power you need to cook a lot of food. So I see people on my camping forum talking up these Blackstone grills, and I think to myself, "Self... you need to get one". The Big Brown Truck dropped it off on Thursday last week.

We gave it a good shakedown run this weekend. First off, I seasoned it. I didn't have time to do a 3 step seasoning process, but a single step works just fine on a new, non-rusty surface. Now, I generally prefer to use flaxseed oil for seasoning, but I didn't bring it with me to the lake, so I had to use canola oil. Flaxseed is marginally better (higher smoke point) but any vegetable based oil will work in a pinch. I prefer not to use bacon grease, lard, schmaltz or any other fat that requires refrigeration. They can turn rancid on your griddle. First I get the griddle blazing hot. As hot as you can get it. Then, using a silicone bbq brush, I coat the griddle with oil and let it smoke till its done. I then turn off the heat and apply a second coat of oil. There will be residual oil on the surface, and when its cooled off enough, I wipe it down with a paper towel (don't wait too long, it should still be plenty warm) and then let it cool to room temp. Again, I try to do this 3 times, but I didn't have the chance.

Next morning, I cooked 18 Eggs, 2 cans of Hash, 2# of Bacon, and even made some toast (whole loaf) on it. The surface was acceptably non-stick at this point. Just a dab of butter for the eggs was all that was needed. I did do a second seasoning on it after breakfast. Its only gonna get better from here.

My only "Hmmm" moment was it seemed to me the flame should have been higher than what I saw with the dials on "high". I was wondering if the regulator was acting up (I have a turkey fryer that does the same thing from time to time). I cut off the burners, disconnected the tank, redid everything, and relit the burners. The flames seemed much more 'robust' after that.

Second meal on it was beef and chicken fajitas. It worked fantastic for those. I am really liking this thing a lot.

Tim
bacon.jpg
bacon.jpg
eggs.jpg
eggs.jpg
fajitias.jpg
fajitias.jpg

sparky30_06
# Posted: 24 Jul 2018 12:28

Now I'm hungry!!! I've used this unit several time for larger groups and some medium sized ones too.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438

I'm working on a stick burner pit that i can cook over now.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Jul 2018 20:01 - Edited by: NorthRick

Man, I wish I never opened this one. All of a sudden, I'm starving!

Thanks for the write-up though. Always good to get a real world review.

hattie
# Posted: 25 Jul 2018 20:51

Looks delicious!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.