Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Don't let your meat loaf
Smawgunner
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 17:34

I read the FDA guidelines on ground beef in the freezer and they said 4 months max. Any thoughts on this? What's your tolerance?

ILFE
# Posted: 20 Aug 2018 17:55

Do you have one of those vacuum pack sealers? Supposedly, they will allow food products to be kept frozen long term.

Here in Southeast Asia, we only keep meats frozen for short time frames, if at all. We live on a farm, but keep our own beef as preparations. Typically, we buy or barter for meats on a regular basis.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Aug 2018 02:07

In my opinion you can leave it frozen for a year. As long as it stays frozen the entire time and is well-wrapped there should be no problem. I keep meat in my freezer for up to a year and have never had problems. Thaw the ground beef in your refrigerator the day before you intend to use it and make sure you always fully cook ground beef.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Aug 2018 21:31

Maybe re-read what USDA states. I found this "Ground beef is safe indefinitely if kept frozen, but will lose quality over time. It is best if used within 4 months. Mark your packages with the date they were placed in the freezer so you can keep track of storage times." on this webpage. If wrapped tightly to keep air away from the frozen product I believe the loss in quality will be slight and difficult to tell.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.