Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Building Off-Grid Log Cabin Nova Scotia
Canadianbackcountry
# Posted: 29 Sep 2018 13:23

Hey Everyone,

I have been wanting to start building a Log Cabin here in rural Nova Scotia on the water. I would like it to be off-grid, and close, if not totally self-sufficient. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some info on ways around building permits. I believe being under a certain size can be allowed without a permit. If the structure is on wheels that are hidden, and a "temporary" blocking system was used, could I get away with a larger building? I am not shutting down the idea of a building permit, I would just like the freedom of building the structure my way.

This will be used as a cottage/Cabin...not as a permanent living structure.

Also, if anyone has ideas about building a log cabin, or has built one, I would love to hear about it. I would like to use Logs found here in Nova Scotia, mostly taken from my own land. Still in the research stages so welcome any wisdom or information that is out there. I thank you in advance.

ICC
# Posted: 29 Sep 2018 14:15

Have you enquired of the local municipality officials what is involved for obtaining a building permit? I have friends in Inverness county who built a few years ago. They had a DIY plan they made themselves for a home of about 800 sq ft. IIRC, I think they paid between $150 and $200 for their building permit. It took two years and I think there was a renewal fee of $40 or so. Not sure on that. Septic was a separate thing and usually is; no idea what that was.

They did not build with logs. They built with straw bales and got permitted for that with little extra effort apparently.

Most counties and towns have all that info online; Google can find it for you.

I'm not sure but if you look you will probably find that small buildings, called accessory buildings, generally do not need a permit, but the word 'accessory' means it is a building on a property that has a main (and permitted) home building. Not to be lived in.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Sep 2018 16:38

How about "literally on the water" ie a raft, and use styrofoam like a floating dock. Can one get by without a permit for that? Its mobile, not in any one jurisdiction, its just where you moor. Its a home made boat with an enclosed wheelhouse. Wheelhouse being the cabin.

rockies
# Posted: 29 Sep 2018 17:45

A small mobile home (built on a chassis with wheels) has to follow certain size regulations in order to be driven on the roads. If you build something larger you'll need a special permit each time you move it.

Also, some municipalities require that a main house be built before an accessory building. I would advise going through a proper permitting process. A building inspector can prevent a lot of costly mistakes.

Canadianbackcountry
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 14:05

Thanks guys,

Toyota - I like the idea of being on the water but would like to use the cabin year round and the water ways ice up here in the winter.

Rockies - I am going to look more into permits. I am not worried about the mistakes, but I don't want to have to hook up power. I was told it was a necessity with a permit. I was told that you need to have power for smoke alarms, and Air exchange systems, but again think I need to look more into it. These might just be rumors.

ICC - Yes, I have talked to the local Municipality and I need to go back with my plans if I decide to go that route. My plan right now is to go with a composting toilet or Chemical for my septic.

Canadianbackcountry
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 14:13

Also, this will be off the beaten path. I just want to make sure I am legal if I decide to not use a permit, and what options I might have. If I am able to get a permit without having to hook up power and be off the grid, I will most likely go that way.

Also, appreciate any info on building a log cabin, or cabin in general. Any creative ideas and what others have done. I like to keep it as rustic as possible. Natural stone, logs, and rough boards.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 18:25 - Edited by: ICC

I'm leary of building with no permits as I know of cases where buildings had to be removed and some cases where it cost more than the original permit would have cost, when the authorities found the home. Those experiences are not in NS though so I have no idea what happens when they discover a building that went up without a permit.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 18:32 - Edited by: ICC

A quick search did find pages that said in Canada all new homes must have electricity. If that is the case it is unclear where that power must come from. I find it hard to fathom that the rule means only grid power. Can anyone affirm what is needed in Canada. Where I am a well designed and assembled solar system is more dependable than the grid. I often see the town nearby go dark during storms while my lights burn bright.

I am very aware that NS does not have as good a solar potential as NM.

Or is it that you do not want electricity from any source at all?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 19:13

ICC, it seems they are trying to get away from cabins. Maybe a cabin that is not lived in all the time, ie recreation/vacation. But I think the OP wants year round. I would get a generator, there, it has power.

Power for a smoke alarm, I have those in my cabin, it even doubles as a CO detector too, runs on electricity, ie battery. Ventilation? Windows that open should do it.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Sep 2018 19:46

I know that new homes in Ontario are required to have a HRV (heat recovery and ventilation) system. That is because they also have strict rules on air sealing the structure. I have no idea if they have exemptions for part time recreational cabins, or cottages as the Canadians seem to call their cabins.

I don't think portable type generators would qualify as a source of electrical power, but the OP would have to ask.

Similarly, I believe the smoke alarms are legislated and must be hard wired to the home electrical system. They assume electrical power from the power grid is more dependable than any other I guess. Battery only alarms are okay in older homes--- ---going by memory what my friends up there have told me. They probably also require CO detectors in new construction.

Canadianbackcountry
# Posted: 1 Oct 2018 20:30

I am certainly not against Solar power, and that is the type of power I would like to go with if I do have power. I do know that your full time residence needs to have a power source for smoke/CO and ventilation. I am trying to find out from the municipality if I can go with battery operation or solar power for a recreation type of cabin.

I was planning on building the cabin with logs off my own land, but after doing some research, I found a company up here who supplies cedar logs, and the plans to construct the cabin. If I go that way I will for sure be going with a permit.

What are peoples thoughts on compost toilets or chemical toilets instead of going with a septic system? I would like to keep the area around the cabin untouched as much as possible and the trail to the cabin on the smaller size. That being said, putting in a septic system would certainly go against this idea.

Also ICC ...what are your recommendations for a solar system? I would like to be able to set it up myself. I have never installed one, but have done lots of electrical work in the past. I don't need a lot of power, but something to run a few lights if needed, maybe a small water pump to supply water from a rain barrel, and things like that. I know there are many different types on the market.

I appreciate all the information guys..!!!

ICC
# Posted: 1 Oct 2018 22:34

My experience with compost toilets is that they do not perform well when the temperature drops below something like 50 F. Not a problem if in a warm place--- I know 2 people with Sunmar's. One likes it; the other tolerates it. One is in a part time situation and the temperature is cool to freezing in fall thru spring. They tolerate it. The ones who like it have it inside where it is warm almost all year --- it's almost a full time situation.

I went with a normal septic; concrete tank. I know where it is, but other than my fencing to prevent others from inadvertent driving over the field, you would not know there was a septic.

Solar or any alt-energy system with batteries--- first do an accurate as possible energy assessment. That is critical and determines battery bank size. Then how many cloudy days do you need to be able to handle? A generator could be used to replenish if cloudy days persist too long, but they can be a pain, gasoline needs to be stored, etc. Generators are easy to have stolen. Generators can be smelly, dangerous if too close to cabin (CO danger).

How many hours of power worthy sun? Maybe this site can help? https://solarpanelpower.ca/nova-scotia/

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Oct 2018 13:29 - Edited by: Steve_S

There are many types of composting toilets and so you need to investigate what will suit YOUR needs. Commercial Units like the Sun-Mar are generally accepted by municipalities (rural - forget any urban ones). Some rural municipalities allow any commercial system which vary in design, method & tech. Chemical Toilets do NOT count as composting, that's more for RV's and such.

I use a SawDust composting system, based off the design & tech from Humanure Handbook and a Urine Diverter from http://www.we-pee.com/ that is plumbed to my Grey Water System. Sawdust composting works fine in the North as long as you follow the instructions for our climate region... most fails occur because some folks think they know better than those actually doing it...

My Grey Water system includes, kitchen, washroom (shower & sink) plus urinal & urine diverter. That flows into a filter catch (catches particles, hairs etc on straw, cleaned out every 3 months & tossed on compost pile) which them flows into a 45 gallon dry well (it's a black plastic olive barrel) which has two 45' run's of 6" drainage tile buried 10' deep on a bed of fine filter gravel and topped with soil.

My property is classed as Seasonal / Recreational and is quite rural, nearest major "city" is < 80k including the military base and about an hour & half from me in Pembroke / Petawawa Ontario.

I met with the Building Inspector FIRST and luckily he is not a regressive (this is how it's always been done and I'm not interested in anything different types) who is open minded and accepting of new regs & rules. I discussed all plans & ideas with him first and then set them to paper and filed for the permits. We had extensive discussions on compost toilet vs chemical, vs septic etc.... Luckily my region is fairly open minded... a LOT of remote, off gridders and no issues.

POWER the big lie ! There are some regions which are terribly regressive, to the point where they insist on minimum building sizes and "demand" hydro and other resources be connected. This cannot be forced, YOU have the right of choice as upheld by our legal system... a Bachelor apartment can be anything from 200 square feet to 1000... Off-grid (not grid connected) is now perfectly acceptable & certainly feasible whereas 10 years ago, not so much. Smoke & CO2 detectors all are available as Hardwired to 120V OR battery powered with 10 year Lithium Cells (happens to be a good sale on dual Smoke & CO2 detectors @ Home Hardware right now).

Conditions: Having said all that, keep in mind that IF you are attempting something like this within a UCZ (Urban Containment Zone) you have to deal with urbanity & the fools that live in it... Farther away you get from such cuckoo's the more reasonable & "sensible" people get. The really tricky part is if you are near or on a waterway as many now have various protections & rules now due to historical abuses, these issues can affect your septic / well plans too. Set backs and all that sort of stuff.

Generators like these from Champion offer more peace of mind and certain reliability because they can run off LPG (Propane) and auto-start when needed. They can be tied to your solar system as "shore power" and with the right solar controller / charger-inverter it could all be a smooth system. https://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/generators/home-standby-generators/ Watch for Sales (twice a yr) @ TSC Stores Canada, they pop them out on sale at excellent prices.

SEPTIC - ReSell +
One advantage of installing a septic system as that those who are Poo-Phobic (90% of people) accept that and will buy it, where if no septic they run. That being said you do NOT have to use the septic for your human waste ! You can just use it for Grey Water and use a compost toilet to keep from making black water which is the toxic nasty stuff. When planning your build, think of the future of what may be needed for a good re-sell down the road. Solar is a +, independence from the grid is good IF reliable (we know grids aren't as reliable as they like to think).

You may want to consider a simpler 2KW Solar System to start with that comes with a controller that can handle more like a Midnite Classic 200. I'm a big fan of Combi Charger-Inverter units which do two jobs for the price of one plus they have a few bonuses. My own is an APC 3KW Inverter-Charger which was designed for a Marine Application so it has "Shore Power Input" and ATS signalling to auto-start a genny when the power levels in the battery bank reach threshold (programmable). NOTE INDUSTRY CHANGE HAPPENING Solar Panel tech has now reached 450W & 500W Bi-Facial panels and the new thin films are hitting market, this is changing price structures BIG TIME, not to mention silliness by some anti-green tech fools in power. Expect major price shifts in spring. BATTERIES ! Ohhh the Fugly of it all... Truth be told, Lithium ION is the way to go, stil,l more than other batt tech but much more reasonable... Our own Creeky here does Li-Ion Repurposing for solar systems from decommissioned battery packs from cars. Unfortunately, Rolls Surrette is not doing Lithium as yet (major bummer IMO). Batteries are the biggest expense of the off-grid system and that is an area that is changing exponentially due to the mass surge towards renewable tech & electrification. Price can only keep falling as the tech develops and increases in production keep going.

Good Luck & Have Fun

LifeWithUs
# Posted: 12 May 2020 15:52

Hi, did you find out any answers? Also located in Nova Scotia and about to build a small cabin in the woods.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 May 2020 20:31

Quoting: Canadianbackcountry
I have been wanting to start building a Log Cabin here in rural Nova Scotia

OK, a log home can be easily built if you use special methods, one used and designed by the founder of the LHBA (log home builders association) which I have recently joined and been through the entire course. These pass code/inspections too. Its a butt-n-pass method and their homes have a distinct look from all others. Any google search for LHBA log homes.
https://www.facebook.com/loghomeassociation

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.