Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / "Disturbing the peace" during hunting season
<< . 1 . 2 .
95XL883
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:31

Oh man. NM is the land of enchantment. Last year is was able to hunt just above the Brazos cliffs. Rough ground to get to but definitely worth the trip.

I suspected burning and fires would be dicy, whether it is the dry grass, even thought the rainy season ends in September and it was certainly wet when I was there last October, or all the beetle kill pine, it does seem like it could be a tinderbox.

Wish i had some magic advice to drive the bad actors away. Too bad the wardens can't be more help. They sure stopped me on the way out to check that I had the proper tag and did things right. Still not too bad being stopped by a cute, young gal.

It's sad that the bad actors hurt the reputation of the good hunters. I suspect the real reason you don't see the good hunters is good hunters won't trespass except to retrieve a wounded animal that crossed a property line. And when we do retrieve an animal we leave nothing but footprints and do as little damage as possible.

You mentioned a road going through your property. Is there anyway that access could be restricted during hunting season to property owners? Probably not if it provides some access to public ground but if just serves the landowners maybe NM would agree during hunting season. That would make it harder for the bad actors to get there.

last year we had to pass through a private gate to our hunting ground. And then we still had a couple hour drive to get to the cabin.

95XL883
# Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:47

Quoting: RiverCabin
Sorry to be a butt about this but I'm fed up with "Sportsmen". As a child, growing up on a farm, I've seen fences cut by lazy hunters, blatant trespassing, litter, and a bunch of other stupid behavior. One time we had a man back over hundreds of feet of crops so he could get his crappy walmart boat closer to our pond where he wanted to fish (of course with no permission).

Geez, either i'm really lucky or you are really unlucky. Neither our family farm in MN or my ground in KS has had anywhere near those problems. As I think about it, the few bad hunters I have crossed paths with were definitely creatures of habit and stubborn in their ways. It definitely takes a lot to change their ways. Police involvement would definitely help.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 00:04

Quoting: 95XL883
Brazos cliffs

close enough

95XL883
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 12:16

Beautiful country. My nephew has hunted the same ground for 13 years. About 5 years ago he built a cabin on the ground using the dead pine. Elevation is 9,800 feet. He is a contractor so has quite a bit skill building. He was really picky about which trees were used (Absolutely no live growth, trying to minimize shrinkage.) He alternated stacking logs so well that the final course was within a 1/4" of being level. The ridge log is huge. He said he almost tipped the lift over getting that one up there.

The foundation was interested. As the ground is so rocky, he picked a high spot and that was one corner. Then measured the distance he wanted to the other corners, removed any top soil until he hit solid rock, then placed 55 gallon plastic drums, cut them so the tops were level with the high spot, then filled the barrels with rock from the site. Then placed loose rock so it formed a bed for the lowest log and started placing logs. Once he had the walls to the height he wanted, about 8', then placed the ridge beam and used smaller logs for rafters. The gable ends were filled with more logs. The roof is simple tin. Then he built an interior floor, again using more logs and plywood. The floor seemed completely level and has no squeaks or movement of any type. One window. Heat is by a wood burning stove. One solar panel charging a 12 volt battery which runs a couple of cfl lights. The build includes a covered front porch about 8 feet deep and width of the cabin. I forget how many tubes of sealant were used to chink the logs. The cabin is very weather tight and was very comfortable even in the 20 degree night temps. The landowner apparently uses the cabin quite a bit during the rest of the year. He's hoping he can keep leasing the ground for quite a few years. It was a great hunt.

dpoisson
# Posted: 26 Oct 2018 11:54

Here, in Québec, it would be extremely rude to run a chainsaw during the hunting season. Probably not for the reasons you think though.

Ever heard a guy doing chainsaw work from afar? Sounds a LOT like a moose calling...

People would be angry, not because you are scaring all the moose away, but because they'll all come to see you!

David

smallcabin
# Posted: 30 Oct 2018 12:44

How about fell the trees on a FRIDAY and then spend the rest of the next day (between 10AM-2PM) to cut up your trees? MOST HUNTERS BREAK FOR LUNCH around 11AM-2PM anyway. I don't gun deer hunt anymore...but IMO, the sounds of chainsaw just don't sit well with me. The deer may NOT care about the chainsaw noises, but the constant noise of chainsaw running is annoying. Just a thought.

SamMacDonald
# Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:02 - Edited by: SamMacDonald

One of my friends asked me this one day because he knows I'm a hunter for life, and he wanted my advice. The hunt can't be disturbed by a chainsaw, and sometimes this sound may even attract deer or other animals. I know this because I have some Wild Life Chase trail cameras, and I saw many times how deers were attracted by certain sounds. This is really fascinating to watch by the way. Well, my advice for those with the same issue is to do this at midday better, and don't worry about the hunters because there are always some unlucky persons that will blame the noise.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 1 Jul 2020 11:14

Just read this thread, wow. Respect always means different things to others. I know when I’m screwing up. My assertion is that the same kind of folks that cut fences and poach game or knowing trespass know they are doing wrong. Just like when they park in the handicap spot, don’t use blinkers, sit in the wrong seat on the plane by the window or isle. Never middle seat. Cut in line, litter.
But they always have a but. I have another assertion. ( my new word of the day) . If you take care of the people and places around you, you are automatically taking care of yourself. There are those who choose to take care of themselves first, they are only building themselves an island and when they need help, we’ll kinda a carma thing.
I always know where I’m shooting. And my bullets path.
In situations like this concerning hunting and animal behavior. Probably the best thing for a successful hunt is if everyone continues on with business as usual. So animals aren’t disturbed. And even in remote places animals that get hunted know the day hunting season starts and get shy and nocturnal. They know it not by one mans actions.
One of the best ways to make sure things like this don’t happen is to take one, make one. Even if someone quits hunting I suspect they enjoy being in the outdoors. And if you have good hunting skills to pass along maybe introducing someone to the sport could help them discover another great world. And great meat for the family. I also realize that I go hunting for many reasons. And that if I’m blessed with a successful harvest ,that is only icing on the cake.
Take one make one and enjoy the outdoors, hopefully at your cabin. There’s really nothing like it !
My sons first moose 58” non typical I called in
My sons first moose 58” non typical I called in

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.