Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Sawmill
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 24 Oct 2018 22:03

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on a decent sawmill? I have the opportunity to buy this circular sawmill style for 1800. One downside is that you are limited to 9 inch depths (less than have the radius of the blade). It's got 30 feet of automated track. Versus a bandsaw mill from 4K-9k.
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Oct 2018 22:23

What do you plan on cutting/ using the wood for? Also what type of trees?

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 24 Oct 2018 22:27

Lodgepole, ponderosa, some fir (but not much out here on the east side of the Cascades). Maybe a 3 sided log cabin (small one), beams, siding, flooring maybe.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Oct 2018 23:04

Sounds like it will cut what you need. That's what matters most. For $1800. Not bad. A good Alaskan chainsaw mill, and a good chainsaw and rip cut chains, will probably cost around half that much. But it seems like the one your looking at would be a lot easier to use.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 08:18 - Edited by: paulz

I paid $1500 for my Lumbersmith bandsaw mill, have to make your own track and push it. But you can lift it into a pickup and haul it to the tree. I've cut many 14-16 wide boards but that's really too much for it. Blades are about $40 and I've gone through about a half dozen over the years.

My neighbor has a Lucas Mill. Takes both a large circular blade or a chain blade for really wide cutting. Flips 90 degrees so you can rip the sides. Really like that thing, which I had bought one.
saw.jpg
saw.jpg

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 14:56

I think the only rub on this one is the limitation on cutting depth. 9 inches. That will work okay for beams. But, I won't be getting any big, beautiful planks out of this mill.

darz5150
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 18:24 - Edited by: darz5150

$2000 for harbor freight one. Will cut 20 inch slabs.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 18:53

I couldn't tell you anything about the mill itself but 9" is pretty limiting. You will have to keep rolling the log around until you get it into cants that are small enough to cut your lumber from.

I've milled a bunch of spruce on my property with an Alaskan chainsaw mill. It can be slow going but I can cut stuff almost 2 feet wide, and have.

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 18:58 - Edited by: NorthRick

This was a 10" by 10" timber in process. That first cut is about 16 inches wide.
Milling04
Milling04

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 23:15

The other interesting thing about this one is it has two horizontal blades that work in tandem with the horizontal. So, you are getting 3 cuts at once. BUT, the horizontal blades are only producing 4.5 inch cuts.

I think it could make a quick go of a 3 sided D log cabin wall.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 25 Oct 2018 23:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYYD0eXM6mE

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Oct 2018 13:40

That video definitely helps with understanding how that thing works. Looks much more useful then I was thinking.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.