Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Foaming under zero-crawl space cabin
KinAlberta
# Posted: 8 Dec 2018 20:49 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Foaming under a cabin with maybe 10” of clearance. (Not in any immediate plans but a potential issue for the future for me.)

Cabin is 24’x30’ and sits very close to the ground on beams made of 2x10s - I think.

So, could I extend the foaming sprayer nozzle say 10-12’ and bend it skyward. Or could I somehow mount the sprayer on a rail or a long board, aim it skyward, remotely screeze the trigger and while the foam sprays upward between the joists, slowly pull the board out? ( Then push it back under and redo the process for the next floor joist cavity.)

Alternatively, cut foam board to fit between the floor joists then use some sort of jack or lever to lift it into place. Say a 2x12 with a couple wedges sitting on it then topped with 24” board of plywood. Then pull more wedges against the fixed wedges to lift the top boatdband foam inbetween the joists. Something like that. Might need vertices aligning brackets. Big problem would be joist bracing. Because of it I’d guess that this process would fail.

Or laminate foam to sheets of something (permeable I’d not?) then spread glue on the upper surface and lift and squeeze them to the bottom of the floor joists and leave the jacks in place until the glue has set. Could maybe then DVD. Blow some cellulose into the cavities.

Dig troughs to enable me to slide some skinny person under the cabin. (Be ready to cut open the floor and joists to save the volunteer.)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Dec 2018 21:42 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Kin, how about extending the spray wand however deep you need to go, ie 16 feet, add 16 feet to the wand. Now get one of those conduit straps (1" type, loose fit) and screw it under the rim joist to hold the wand. You need to gauge speed, but push wand to other side, point nozzle up into joist bay, squeeze trigger and slide wand out at steady pace, using the strap to hold it up, so you just walk it straight backwards. Take a peek and gauge if you need to pick up the pace or slow down. Do this to each joist bay.

Just thinking out loud.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 8 Dec 2018 22:40 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Thanks for the thoughts. An extension was my first thought too. Would never have thought of using a conduit strap as guide!!!!

Can old smart phones be used as remote cameras? (Could have a friend monitor the spraying as I walk it back.)

I’m not sure though if the foam might not clog up in the extension or some other problem would develop.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 8 Dec 2018 22:55 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Found this:
10’ pole extender

Reaching New Heights: PMC's New Patent-Pending AP-EX Spray System Facilitates The Application of Spray Foam - Spray Foam Magazine
“LADDERS, SCAFFOLDING, STRETCHING, AND BENDING: NO MORE
One of the most important benefits that the AP-EX design brings to the table is reducing the need of having to get on a ladder, use an aerial lift, or build scaffolding to reach certain tough angles. This allows the applicator to move through the job swiftly, without the added concern of fall hazards that come with moving scaffolding or ladders multiple times through the jobsite. In addition to that, the extended system allows the contractor to spray a 10-foot wall without having to bend down to spray the bottom of the stud walls or stretch to reach the top. The AP-EX lends itself with ease to spray rim joists as well.”

http://sprayfoammagazine.com/reaching-new-height-pmcs-new-patent-pending-ap-ex-spray- system-facilitates-application-spray-foam/

Forgot about this option below. Although I’ve read that skirting can create major, major problems, it might be an option if it is designed to be opened up of removed altogether when the cabin is not in use and in the summer months.

ASK THE INSPECTOR: Wood skirting best bet to insulate cottage
By: Ari Marantz
Posted/Updated: 2011-04-23

https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/winnipeg-real-estate-articles/renovation-design/A SK-THE-INSPECTOR-Wood-skirting-best-bet-to-insulate-cottage/id-2075

Princelake
# Posted: 9 Dec 2018 10:31

Insulate the skirting and forget about crawling under there or coming up with ways to insulate it.

Eddy G
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 11:22

I used Foam it green to insulate a vaulted ceiling in our cabin. From that experience I'd have to say NO.

Unless your really experienced and really really good with spray foam insulation I wouldn't attempt what your proposing.

They make it look easy on youtube and it isn't incredibly hard or impossible to control it under the right circumstances but there are way to many variables in your scenario for me.

As others have stated, skirt the cabin. Your less than a foot from the ground and the earth provides some insulation. Insulate the skirt if you wish but you really need to do make that TIGHT to keep the mice and other critters from getting in to it and making a mess....If you do insulate the skirt use a solid material and stay away from fiber glass bats or anything loose. I've seen a lot of crumbled up old pink insulation on the ground under cabins collecting moisture, mold, dirt and providing housing for rodents. Just my 2 cents....

Princelake
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 11:27

Also if you make the skirting tight with no spots for rodents to get in they will tunnel their way under the skirting to get in. An idea is to dig a good foot or 2 down from your skirting and add chicken wire in the ground.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.