Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Pressure pumps
Atlincabin
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 22:52

So, I have a Shurflo pump that puts out about 3 gpm at 30 psi that I'm using for domestic water pressure. Would like to have a bit more flow at that pressure, particularly for the shower. Anyone have suggestions on a different pump that might work? It does need to be reasonably quiet as it is in the living space. I'm pumping from a barrel in the loft to a bathroom (sink, toilet, shower) and kitchen (sink). We only use one fixture at a time. 120V power.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 23:41 - Edited by: ICC

What is the flow rating of the existing shower head? I run some very low flow heads (1.5 GPM) on 35 PSI max and find them to be great. There are many available. Some introduce air into the flow, some do not. The air has the effect to seemingly strengthen the flow, make it seem more forceful, but has the drawback of cooling the water.

Mine are High Sierra brand.

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Jun 2019 07:58

I’ve had to drill out my low flow head to get me enough flow with lower psi so that might be worth looking at.

Measure the volume of water coming out of your shower before buying a new pump to make sure it is a pump issue

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 07:04

Raise the pressure of the pump. Its free and worth a shot. 3gpm is more than most shower heads put out. I believe there usualy 1.5gpm, it will say on the head.

Mabe your pump is 3gpm at 0psi. Have you tested it?

Ken Robbins
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 12:10

Depending on how deep you want get into the project, dual pumps served me well until we got the well in.
I used 2 pumps with split pressure ranges and a small pressure tank. The higher pressure pump did most of the work for low flow needs but both would run for shower and such doubling the flow capability.
It seems the small pump flows are at near no pressure, as has been said, and flow is a product of pump speed which is fixed generally.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 15:58

Thanks for the replies. I have not tested the pump flow. It is sufficient as is, but sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more flow. I may try going to a dual-pump system or find a slightly larger pump. Ken, I presume your pumps are set up in parallel rather than series? Interesting idea to have different pressure settings.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.