Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Washing Machines
Jcotrel1
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 09:09

How do you keep your washing machine from freezing up in the winter? Do they make any that drain 100%? Or do you just run RV antifreeze through it? I need to get a stackable washer/dryer for my cabin.

Thanks!

creeky
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 09:16

Depends on your budget. My new laundry washer (Electrolux 24") has a plug at the bottom of the machine that you undo in the fall to get all the water out.

My previous machine you didn't have to do anything (compact Haier:the control board stopped working. after 5 years). Don't miss it. It used a lot of water.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 10:08 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Well, there is always a little hose at the bottom at the extraction pump, located near the bottom of tub, large hose of the flex type hooked to it. If there is no drain, one could pop a hose off to drain it. Its enough ro crack the extraction pump if left in over winter. If there is a section of straight hose in there, be nice to install your own "T" inline using some PVC then install a cap plug, one you can unscrew to make draining easier. You wouldn't really know until you got a look at it. If you have make and model, we can look onlike at parts breakdown and look at the extraction system.

Creeky, I have those little micro computers that now run all appliances. I had one quit on my home fridge, freezer never defrosted. I installed a new computer and fixed it. But have since added Leviton surge protection outlet in my house for the fridge, did the same for my washing machine too. Did the piggyback 4 plug for my TV center.

Just
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 10:35

I flush all the Lines and pumps with plumbing antifreeze . Cost 5$ and 15 min of my time .

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 11:51

Blow them out with an air compressor. No poisen going into the septic.

Ken Robbins
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 11:55

I know its a bit off topic but does anyone have thoughts on the whole anti-freeze idea in the plumbing? Our cabin in Alaska is being built (by us) with hopes of a water system that will drain readily but I hear of folks filling the pipes with RV anti-freeze for the winter and wonder about the safety/wisdom of that since we have potable water from our well. I'm good with filling the traps and such but fresh water side will inevitably have some water hiding.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 15:54

Ken, we set up our system with no horizontal pipe runs. It's designed to drain by opening a couple valves. Almost all the piping is PEX, which is supposed to be freeze-proof (but I don't really believe it completely). In addition, we will blow the lines out with compressed air before leaving for winter. I do put RV antifreeze in the toilet trap/tank (always a bit of water left in there and not easy to get out) and washing machine. We have rubber sink traps that can be twisted around to drain almost all of the water out before leaving. This has worked well for us, never had any pipe breakage issues.

I would not want to put antifreeze in any supply lines that I might be drinking from, only drain lines.

Jcotrel1
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 16:36

Hi all. Thanks for the comments. My biggest concern is water being trapped in the washer pump. How do you get it all out to avoid freezing?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 23:22

IDK why you couldn't use rv anti-freeze. It's non-toxic.
The washer manual might have information for winter storage.
I would not chance just pulling a plug or compressed air.
The point is to leave antifreeze in the pump and lines so any left over water won't freeze. That's how we winterize our travel trailer every year.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jun 2019 23:25

Quoting: Jcotrel1
Hi all. Thanks for the comments. My biggest concern is water being trapped in the washer pump. How do you get it all out to avoid freezing?

All covered in the replies. Both on draining it and just prevent it from freezing. I'm with SWL, use RV antifreeze, its safe and simple.

Nikolas
# Posted: 30 Jun 2021 02:00

It is safe to flush with alcohol, all antifreeze is very poisonous

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Jun 2021 07:46

NOT ALL ANTI-FREEZE IS TOXIC !
Two main types, ethylene glycol (EGW) or propylene glycol (PGW).

Ethylene glycol (EGW) is used in Motive Applications and similar and IS Highly Toxic !

Propylene glycol (PGW) is used in non-motive applications and is NOT Toxic. RV Anti-freeze (plumbing) Radiant Heating systems and similar use this.

What is propylene glycol and is it safe?
Propylene glycol is a substance commonly used as a food additive or ingredient in many cosmetic and hygiene products. The US and European food authorities have declared it as generally safe for use in foods. However, it has become controversial since it is also an ingredient in antifreeze.Mar. 2, 2018

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Jun 2021 07:50

I would also point out that Many Northerners, RV-er's and Marin folks use the HepVo Waterless P-Trap because They work, no muss or fuss and better clearances in tight spaces. I have a couple in use and they are the bomb !

HepVo Waterless P-Trap
LINK: https://hepvo.com/hepvo-waterless-valve/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.