Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Fuel Stabilizers
<< . 1 . 2 .
paulz
# Posted: 31 Jan 2020 21:06

Good idea Rick. No shutoff but easy enough to put one in. The Briggs is up on the rear deck, probably two feet above the fuel tank. It has a pump, one of those crankcase vacuum operated things. So I wonder how long it would take to pump some fresh gas into the bowl, I'll test it. Also have to make sure the dozen or so firemen (and one woman) remember to turn it off, and more importantly back on. They do have solenoid operated valves I could wire to the ignition switch but that adds another level of complexity and possible failure point.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 1 Feb 2020 17:16 - Edited by: LittleDummerBoy

Retired professional mechanic here.

Don't waste money on Seafoam. You can look up the ingredients on their MSDS. Seafoam is 1/3 Naptha (Coleman fuel), 1/3 Mineral spirits (paint thinner), 1/3 alcohol (the problem in the first place).
Stabil works, Star-Tron is what they use in boatyards. It's the best, it works.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:04

I belong to one other forum that puts up with me, for old Hot Rods. Back in August someone asked for Seafoam experiences, which were overwhelmingly positive. These are mostly 70+ year old lifetime mechanics, racers.. So I bought a can, had an O'Reillys coupon, and have been splashing it in my generators, golf cart, motorcycles and whatever else with a carb that sits around. Typically these things start to get finicky in winter, hard starting, requiring choke to keep running..

Still early in the season but it does seem to be helping. Maybe it burns hotter, maybe its keeping the jets clean, don't know. I'm not normally an additive kind of guy. There may be other products that work better or for different problems, just what I've noticed so far.

Here is the thread I mentioned if you want to check it out:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/seafoam-stories-good-or-bad.1202972/

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 12:52

Seafoam cured a problem I had with a small Honda water pump. The PO ran regular ethanol fuel in it and it sat months at a time, especially all winter. It would run the quit over and over. I ran a more than recommended dose in the tank then let it sit overnight. Drained that out in the morning then put in ethanol free fuel with a good dose of Seafoam. Took running it a few times to clear completely up but now... on only ethanol free fuel... it runs like a champ.

My mechswears by it to keep injectors clean. Every 3000 miles he says dump a can in... more often is better.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 14:26

All the mentions of how Seafoam seems to clean carbs and injectors makes me wonder if something like Tecron (sp?) injector cleaner would pretty much serve the same purpose as the Seafoam? Im sure someone will say that the Seafoam will have 'some additive package' that also 'stabilizes' the gas but I cant help but wonder IF it does is it a little or much...

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 15:28

You mean does too much like a magic wand in a can Gcrank1? I have never got the stuff to work. If I remember right seafoam says use contents of can 30days after opening. Not sure I would trust a stabilizer that goes bad its self.

I use the blue stabil for treating fuel. Mostly the only stuff I worry about is my 2 stroke stuff, I use 91 E0 fuel in it all year.

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 16:20

The "Magic Wand" kept me from having to put a new carb on my Honda pump.....Brett... Sorry it didn't work for the application you used it for, but because it did not work for you does not mean it doesn't help at all.

I would guess injector cleaner may do the same thing. I think it does contain a stabilizer for fuel. If fuel is going to set awhile I use Stabil as the stabilizer. I think Seafoam is best suited as a cleaner for the fuel system.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 16:38

I didnt just use it once. I used it many times and saw no benefit. I believe I have a half full can still.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 16:50

I didnt just use it once. I used it many times and saw no benefit. I believe I have a half full can still.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 16:51

Also saying the sea foam saved you from replacing a carb isnt true. It saved you from physically cleaning the carb.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 17:19

Ha, 1/2 can still full and it went 'bad' 30 days after breaking the seal; don't know how many opened, partly used cans of stuff we threw away after my dad died.
Maybe just pour it in your car and burn it up just to be done with it?

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Dec 2020 17:48

YMMV.....

FishHog
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:17

Love seafoam in small engines. Sure I can tear down a carb but I don’t enjoy it. My carb cleaning went way down and ease of starting went way up when I started using it. It’s the only additive I’ve ever had any faith in

That and non ethanol fuels make small engines much more enjoyable

Nobadays
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:05

Quoting: FishHog
That and non ethanol fuels make small engines much more enjoyable

Second the non ethanol fuel for small engines. I didn't think there was any difference until a few years ago when I started using it in all my small engines. Haven't had a starting problem since!

I just acquired a Gravely chipper this fall.... 18hp Kohler engine, always ran on ethanol fuels, and of course sat for months at a time with that junk in it. Other than finding the air cleaner completely plugged up, I think the jets in the carb are in need of cleaning. Won't run unless the choke is half out. Not sure Seafoam will fix this beast. I'm going to drain most of the fuel and dose it with Seafoam before I pull the carb.... I too can repair a carb but don't like to. I get this thing running well and you can bet before storage it will have stabilized non ethanol fuel ran through it. It's kind of a gas hog or I'd run non ethanol all the time in it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:29

When Im running stuff regularly the eth-blends run fine, it is when they sit sometimes unexpectedly that messes me up. Like a year ago when I had not unexpected but earlier than anticipated, quad bypass.
My dad had intended to winter prep his stuff too. 2 years after he died I found out none of it had been done and I now had to deal with all of it

paulz
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 10:30

Getting non ethanol around here is a 75 mile trip, unless you want to pay $20 a gallon at the saw shop. I have made my own by leeching out the ethanol with water, but that's a hassle. So I'm hoping the Seafoam helps.

I've heard the oil in two stroke pre-mix negates some of the issues of ethanol. Wouldn't know it by my chainsaw fuel lines...

FishHog
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 14:09

I don’t think oil helps with ethanol at all.
I’ll run ethanol fuels if it’s short term and I’m going through a lot of it. But if it’s ever going to sit for more than a month you will regret using it

Problem is that it separates when it gets moisture from the air. Then you get a layer in the bottom of your tank that is ethanol and water that won’t burn. And it seems to gum up all the carb jets

I’m not sure the world is better off with ethanol or not but I sure hate the stuff

Also if you’re going to get non ethanol fuel. If it’s a combination fuel pump make sure you run the first half gallon or so into your vehicle before your small fuel tank or you will end up with all the ethanol fuel that sits in the hose. Dedicated ethanol free pumps are much better for that but can be hard to find

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.