Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Fish stocking
hueyjazz
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 11:56

I've been on a mission to stock my three ponds. When I bought the place one pond was stocked with bass and bass only. Wrong way to do it as fish are reliant on bugs and things for food. In NY you must apply for a free permit to stock ponds. You need to tell them exactly what you plan to do. Then obtain fish from approved fish hatchery.

Started this three years ago. I put in grass carp to all three ponds to keep weeds down. You have to prove ponds are land locked to get them as these are an invasive species. They are my best employees. Weeds are way down

In one pond I put Several perch that were of breeding size. I need to keep bait fish out for now until perch can be establish. In another pond I put bluegill, catfish and crappy. Some catfish are two foot long now and I have several large bluegill. Both are spawning which is what I wanted to see. Not sure about crappy.

Once I have ponds establish I plan to trade fish between them. Kind of like a huge aquarium that we can sit on porch and watch fish jump. Bass can get a couple feet out of water to catch a bug. I've been pellet feeding pond. Fish now approach me instead of fleeing. They want vittles.

This has been great fun and provides entertainment. Daughter gets married this year and we expect grandchildren at some point. Part of my cabin improvement activities is to make grandpa's cabin the cool place to visit. Well the fish pond goes a long ways. So will the zip line between two of them.

cluttonfred
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 15:23

Very cool! There was a book on aquaculture that I used to read when posted overseas nearly 30 years ago, had dreams of cage-raising catfish, brewing my own beer, and opening a fish-and-chips brew pub with the beer and pub both called "Bullhead."

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.