Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / It's not really about the build.....
spencerin
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 01:40

I'll agree we like to see our cabins built, but what is it we're really after? For me, it's the solitude, the peace and quiet, the escape from the incessant stimulation and demands of city life. The build is just a visual, tangible way to measure progress towards that goal, and this site indicates to me I'm not alone.

spencerin
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 01:42

I looked for a way to upload pics of my build, but I couldn't find any. Guidance, anyone?

aktundra
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 02:06

Indeed!

Slowing down is the goal; disconnecting from the daily routine and demands. Yet I find it so rewarding to design, plan, and build the projects. I keep coming up with more and more things...

ICC
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 09:50

When you are logged in, there is an "upload files" text link under the compose reply field. There is also a text link "read uploading rules before!" that explains file types and size limits.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 12:45

For me, I have always wanted a remote cabin in the woods, close to or next to a national forest. I have always like the looks of USFS structures, colors, National Parks and State Parks colors, designs etc. I have been replicating all of it, camp ground, numbered campsites, ranger station...
Park shelter is next and probably an information board like you see in campground central area.

justinbowser
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 21:29

Our back property line borders a National Forest. My wife likes to say we have 14 acres and a 1.7 million acre back yard!

ICC
# Posted: 15 Sep 2019 22:02

It can be nice to have a NF as a boundary. However, there can also be a downside. My land is thinned much better, potentially more able to withstand a wildfire than the adjacent NF on the east. Thinning that is planned for 2021 if they get the budget. I really would like to see the NF thinned as the ground is littered so badly in many places it is next to impossible to get across it. That leads to my other gripe about having NF as neighboring property. Because of the ground litter I get hunters running down fences and taking shortcuts across my property. The boundary has quite a few turns and twists. Oh well, it could be worse.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 16 Sep 2019 11:42

As I moved up in age and I have lost a few people close to me I've learned to enjoy the small things in life and start doing more of the things that make me happy. For me that time in the woods.

I always had a plan to get a cabin in the woods. I figured that would be a retirement gift to myself to enact my dream. About 8 years ago now I lost my oldest brother and my closest friend within months of each other. I decided then that retirement is too far away to wait. Financially I could pull it off so why not. I started my search to find a property that was no more than an hour from where I live but it had to be in the woods. Wife was in agreement but property had to have electric. It seemed like it took forever to find but we did. Our piece of a mountain top deep in a woods where my only neighbor are Amish. The cut wood and make furniture.

And we have never looked back. In fact we plan to move to the property for retirement. And better yet, I so love the property that I plan to retire early.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Sep 2019 12:28

Like HueyJazz I was motivated by the realization that we ain't here forever.

I enjoy the planning. Looking at what others have done. Then doing your own version.

Or getting a bit original due to circumstance. You know. Barn siding made out of metal garage doors I got for free. Complete with windows!

But it really is that moment when you just sit back. The bees are in the asters. A flight of geese goes overhead. Its fall so the kids are stunting as they go over the tree line. Sun is warm. Chores are done.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Sep 2019 11:50

I enjoy the solitude also. We use to be members at a cabin that we would spend a week at and only see 3 people a week. It was wonderfull and pushed us to own our own slice of the woods. We are in month 6 of owning our own land.

We are 1,000ft from 9,000ac of state land in central/southern tier NY. Thats not easy to find and be out of the Adirondack park. We dont have many forest fires here at all.

spencerin
# Posted: 22 Sep 2019 16:06

This is the pic I wanted to upload originally. It gives me some much needed perspective at times.
View.jpg
View.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Sep 2019 19:25

Quoting: aktundra
Yet I find it so rewarding to design, plan, and build the projects.

It was for me too.

Nobadays
# Posted: 22 Sep 2019 20:17

The quiet, solitude are one aspect we enjoy but I think being surrounded by nature... the doe who brings her fawns around, the other doe who never fails to show up when I have been running the chainsaw, she loves those sweet Aspen leaves. Then there is the fox who comes around in the winter and early spring looking for a hand out. The occasional bear and the elk who wander through in the early spring. Hummingbirds, they summer here and often we have 20-25 hummers swarming our feeders. The blue Jay who always announces his arrival at the feeder, and the ground squirrels and chippies who challenge the Jay for the food.

Oh yeah.... like aktundra and GaryO.... I really love planning and building projects around the cabin and property! Being at 9,500 feet in the Rockies, the moderate summer temperatures and the lightening displays all add to the reasons we spend 5 months a year here.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.