Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Vandalized!
<< . 1 . 2 .
MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 00:05

Well we got hit this last week. I had a time lapse camera setup to record the construction process. I really didn't have any place to hide it and we have never had any sign of intruders in the area.

I was working in the area today and made a quick trip up to put a coat of poly on the bare plywood floor so any foul weather wouldn't mess it up. They stole the camera and a large screw driver. The only items they could haul out easily on their ATVs.

We are really off the beaten path but we have been found now. They might be back with a truck for my lumber stash. Building a fence and locked gate has jumped to the front of my todo list.

Malamute
# Posted: 21 Aug 2011 11:44 - Edited by: Malamute

First Alert has a camera setup that can make a precorded phone call, send an e-mail as notice, or send still or vid by e-mail when actuated. You can select the area of the view that will trigger the response. It also has night vision. The camera needs power, but sends the info wireless to the receiver, which is connected to a computer (which needs power, and would be subject to theft if not secured/hidden), or they have a console that records separately.

There are likely others that do similar things.

I've made functional shutters for several cabins. Don't think I have pic of them, but they closed and locked with a hasp. They were made of 1x6 rough cut lumber, with 1x4 cleats on them, and used the heavy gate hinges, with a big screw for the pin end that I screwed into the window frames, the other end was a steel strap in various lengths that was bolted to the gate/shutter body. It would take serious work to get through them. My doors have always been heavy, handbuilt from splined 2x8 rough cut with cross cleats, with only a small window, useless for getting in.

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 10 Nov 2011 10:25 - Edited by: Mtnviewer

My log cabin was recently broken in to by someone kicking in the door which tore out the hasp screws from the wood frame. Nothing was stolen. Not sure if I"ll beef up the lock or not. I have a neighbour from Hell (whom I suspect as he accused me of tampering with his ill running truck around the same time), or it could have been a curious hunter via the river access, as otherwise, the cabin is hidden & quite remote. The cabin is visible from the river when there are no leaves on the trees.

Quoting: Anonymous
Build a bluebird house / housing for your trail cam. works like a charm.

How would you build a bluebird house for the trail cam, that hides the trail camera but allows the wide lens, the Infra Red sensors & the motion detection sensors to see the subject? That I'd like to see.

There are bird house camera set ups, which are quite pricey online. It would be easy enough to make one by sourcing the same camera parts which are inexpensive, & which is what I'm probably going to do. The main problem is motion sensing with such a set up as the motion sensor needs a unobstructed wide view. I can't have a camera always recording. There are pressure pad triggers, which would also work, but then the camera would have to be close to the cabin door & hidden from view or tampering. Not easy to find a set up that will do it all. I just bought a disguised spy type camera but not sure how long the 9 volt battery will last in the cold. They come as clocks or lamps or wall sockets, etc..

I just put up one trail camera along the main access & have another to install somewhere but no SD card for it yet. But I'm not sure where to place it, as no trees are really close enough to my cabin & few trees there that can disguise the trail cam. I'm also not sure that it would be close enough to the cabin to detect motion. I'd have to for sure get a lock box for it if I can't hide it from view.

What I'm actually looking for is a small peep hole camera or tube style camera to embed into the log wall or to put into a bird house at 50-75 feet away from the cabin & then to run a wire to a hidden DVR & battery for recording & power. 99% of all the surveillance cameras that I've seen are just too large & too visible.

Costco online has a pack of 4 fake surveillance cameras that I may get as a decoy to keep one's attention from seeing the real camera. I think some sort of visual distraction is needed in my location & or for any trail camera, as a real trail camera needs some open space to get a clear view & to not produce false shots by moving branches.

The wireless IP or cell phone cameras are super expensive for me, $400 - $700 each from what I've seen (plus monthly data fees) & they are not easy to hide or to power in my off grid situation.

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 11:11

My son is a member of a Ventures Scout Group here in Canada and have been helping to maintain one of the scout cabins used by the kids for outings. It's pretty rustic but thats the idea for the kids. Recently it has been so badly vandalized over and over...someone even stole the wood stove!..that the volunteers who oversee it and have put time and dollars into maintaining it have thrown in the towel and say they cannot do it anymore. I'm fairly sure its the same group who keep going there and doing the damage because it has gotten totally senseless recently. Up to then there were occassional groups who used the cabin without permission but other than leaving it in a mess didn't cause a lot of damage. This new bunch have destroyed all the artifacts created by the kids over the years, tore off the front steps, broke out the windows, stole the stove and there is even evidence they lit a fire on the table!! Is there ANYTHING we can do to catch these guys??? I would actually think about paying for surveillance cameras if we had electricity there..Perhaps if we caught and charged them these senseless acts would come to an end..

hattie
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 14:49

I always hate it when I see this thread come up on the forum. It is gut wrenching to hear about vandals who destroy someone else's hard work.

I am sorry to hear about the vandalism to the Scout camp. I don't have any suggestions for you but I know there are many at this forum who use game cams on their property. Hopefully they will have some helpful advice.

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 16:12

I bought 2 game trail cameras from Costco. I put one up in a birch tree along the main access trail. I used one section of an aluminum ladder & that I've stashed in the forest. The camera is chain locked to the tree. With the addition of some hanging moss & bark, it is quite hard to see until right under it. It's a hassle to get the ladder to retrieve the card, but I think if it were at a lower level it would become the target. The other camera is being used on the road access for now. I need to get slow 16 GB cards for them. The image quality is better than I expected. The mfg sells a lock box & long term battery for a god price, so I'll get one of those for now. I ALSO bought a spy camera! These too are better than I thought. They can be in a clock, or radio, or teddy bear, or a coat hook, & so on. Mine has a motion sensor, can do video or stills & is rechargeable. This will be inside the cabin. I also will put together my own bird house camera, as the camera parts are cheap vs. super expensive if all put together by a mfg. I like the idea of a bird house as you can put up several nearby as decoys. I feel that decoys or anything to take the vandals attention away from the camera is vital. Along the trail I also put an obstacle to slow them down & to distract them. My trail camera takes a burst of 3 or more images, but at normal walking pace only the first image is usable. I haven't tested the video as I only have a small memory card for now. So far only a few animals imaged. The police can't do anything without proof. Good luck to us all.

Bevis
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 16:59

Quoting: Mtnviewer
The police can't do anything without proof.

Amen...that's what helped me.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 16:59

I have been contemplating the "$50 in an envelope and a bottle of booze" tactic the last couple years. Just a little money and booze and a note pleading to not damage anything could do the trick. There was a problem with some meth heads about a dozen years ago, but they were run off. Another guy had his cabin cleaned out about 15 years ago, stove included. Another neighbor was getting his liquor and supplies stolen so they started ex-laxing the booze.
We are a bit further off the road than most, and gated, but you cannot stop someone who is determined.
I really do not even care about most of the possessions, it would be the vandalism that would hurt me. We don't even have deadbolts on a couple of the doors, just locking knobs.
This is my sanctuary.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.