Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Odd things found at cabin?
mj1angier
# Posted: 3 Dec 2019 19:00

The land where our cabin sits has been used for different things in it past- Sheep farm, grist mill, greenhouse...

As I have been moving dirt around, odd things work their way up- lots of porcelain insulators, liqueur bottles, kids crape sole shoe ( maybe from 70's)...

But the neatest thing so far came up last week. Clearing around the base of a tree, I see an round metal part sticking out of ground. When I go to pull it up, I find it is bigger than I thought. It was hollow and full of mud. I dropped it in the creek for a few days to let the mud wash out. I got it home and cleaned it up today.
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 3 Dec 2019 19:02

I kind of thought I knew what it was but not what it was called. So I did some online hunting and found a name:

Axle Skein- it covers a wooden axle on a wagon
lynch_steel_cast_axl.jpg
lynch_steel_cast_axl.jpg

Eddy G
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 07:14

Pretty cool artifact...it will make a nice wall hanger and conversation piece..Any idea of how old it could be?

mj1angier
# Posted: 4 Dec 2019 08:35

Still trying to find out. Yeah I like to find old rusty things to clean up and use on the wall.

Eddy G
# Posted: 5 Dec 2019 19:58

I found a can of midget popcorn in a crawl space and some old brown glass medicine bottles
80DBDFE2DF114CB4A.jpeg
80DBDFE2DF114CB4A.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.