Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Playing around with a design
Cowracer
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:59 - Edited by: Cowracer

It looks like we have an interested party to buy our current cabin and lake lots. So I started playing around with designs for the replacement on our new lakefront lots. My buddy and I own them together, so we came up with a novel idea. We are going to make a large, central "Garage" area (24x24) with 2- 16X24 cabins on either side.

It's kinda hard to render the outside in Homestyler, but this give you an idea of what we are thinking:

The middle "Garage" will be our new pavilion. We're thinking of having a glass garage door (like at a gas station). In the summer months, we just open it up, and when it gets colder, we can close it, and still enjoy a nice view of the lake.

Again, its hard to show in the render, but this will be built into a hill. The back wall, and 2 side walls will be concrete, as will the floor. I also didn't fully populate the kitchen along the back wall. That's where the food prep, storage, sink and fridges go.

I'm gonna downsize the actual 'cabin' part drastically. Its going to be a single floor, 16 x 24. It will have a small bathroom, a decent bedroom and a small living room space. I find we don't use the living room hardly at all on the existing cabin. Pretty much all we do is sleep in it. Think of it as a cabin on a cruise ship. You don't hang out in it much.

Still want to keep a wee bit of a living room, just so we have a bit of private space if needed. Also gonna have some cabinets for a coffeemaker and some minor storage, as well as a full bath. One big upgrade is we will have water and flush toilets this time. Many people at our lake use in-ground catchment tanks that they pay to pump out, and bring in fresh water in 300 cube tanks. Not as nice as having a well and a sewer system, but that's the one condition the wife threw on me. I guess I can agree on it.

I love playing with designs on Homestyler. Even if the exact furniture isnt what I would use, it gives you some nice renderings on what the space would look like.

Right now, we are in a wait-and-see mode with the potential buyer. If he pulls the trigger, we will have to get back into construction mode.

Fingers crossed...

Tim

Princelake
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 15:13

I think that's a great idea! I've seen other cabins with the same idea but this is way better.
My family use to own a fishing lodge with cabins. The family that bought it use the guest cabins as their private sleeping bunkies and the lodge is the center meeting area where ppl cook hang out and what not. Also seen this with a center cabin as a cook cabin.
What about guests? Or do they sleep on the couch? Haha
All under one roof is great! Hope this comes through I'd love to see actual pictures of this completes project!

Cowracer
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 15:18

Quoting: Princelake
What about guests? Or do they sleep on the couch?

Pretty much, yep. In 7 years of owning our current lots, we have never, not once, had anyone stay over. In fact, our two grown sons have only been to the lake 2 times each.

Guests are probably about #947 of my worries.

Tim

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 11 Feb 2020 16:25

I like it and think it’s a cool idea but, I would worry about going into a venture like that with another family. Do you have a plan if someone wants out?

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:39

What's the resale value of basicly a duplex with a large common area like that. It's going to be a very odd layout to a large number of buyers

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:48

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
Do you have a plan if someone wants out?

Yeah, we have an agreement. We basically did the same thing on our current lots. We own them jointly.

Quoting: Brettny
What's the resale value of basicly a duplex with a large common area like that. It's going to be a very odd layout to a large number of buyers

Why would I even care about resale value?

Tim

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:08

Quoting: Cowracer
Why would I even care about resale value?

In my case resale has crossed my mind but I think small cabins in general are so personal they don’t have much value to other people anyway. I went into this assuming if I ever sell I will lose money on what I have into the structure.

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:52

To avoid sounding like a complete jerk, I gotta say that potential resale value of things I buy NEVER factor into the equation.

With that said, the lots are at a recreational lake community. Most of the people only come down on weekends, so many lots are shared. There are quite a few that have 3 or 4 campers set up on a single lot. I bet there is probably 15 places I know that have a permanent building shared by multiple families. In fact, there is one on the main drag going in that was the inspiration for our idea. Its set up pretty much like our design, with a big central bay and living quarters on both sides.

So in other words... yes, in a purely residential kind of setting, this would indeed be a wonky layout to sell (if we ever had to). But at the lake, and especially ON the lake, it's not that big of a hindrance.

Tim

Turtletownman
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 13:39

Depending on who inherits, someone will face the problem some day.

Also I noticed the bedroom did not have a closet. I amuse the laundry will be in the common area but it is to me a necessity even for a vacation cabin.

I agree with not building a place for a lot of visitors unless entertaining is your thing. Walmart sells tents.

Bob

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 17:24 - Edited by: Cowracer

Quoting: Turtletownman
Also I noticed the bedroom did not have a closet. I amuse the laundry will be in the common area but it is to me a necessity even for a vacation cabin.

Our current cabin does not have closets. We have a 6-hole cubby organizer that we keep "lake stuff" in, like old shorts, my awesome hawiian boating shirt and what not. Anything worn goes in the hamper, cleaned at home, and returned the next trip. We have the system down, so it's not that big of a deal to haul clothes down and back.

I did size the bedroom that if the missus ever changes her mind on closets (she is the one that told me we don't need them), I can put a couple Ikea "Pax" wardrobes in on either side of the bedroom door.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Tim

Princelake
# Posted: 12 Feb 2020 20:42

For resale value I'm sure you could easily convert it into one unit and do what makes you happy not what will make the next guy happy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.