Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Window Air Condition With Heater
otienoty
# Posted: 25 Feb 2020 15:05 - Edited by: otienoty

I want to install an air conditioning unit in my office, and I need some advice. The room is 12' x 15' and the ceiling height is 8' on one side and 10' on the opposite side. I’m thinking of going with a window unit! I’ve never used these before for cooling. The weather here can get really hot in summer, so I want to prep the room before then. If anyone has experience with cooling a room this size, then you can recommend the type of ac you used and the size as well

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Feb 2020 08:02

Actually with how efficient window units have become the bang for the buck on a mini split may not be as much.

What's the R rating of the walls, floor and ceiling? What heating/cooling zone are you in?

jhp
# Posted: 26 Feb 2020 08:48 - Edited by: jhp

I have found this to be a good way to estimate heating or cooling needs. If you want to get more accurate than this you need a true heat loss calculation but this has been pretty close

https://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

Regardless of what this thing tells you, I'd recommend buying the biggest (by BTU) unit you can fit through your window, that is in your budget, and works with your power constraint - either 120v or 240v.

Mini splits are nice, but you jump fast in price from the nicest window at about $500 to the cheapest, smallest split at like $700. The next tier up is like $900/$1000, they get expensive fast.

For a cheap option, check Craigslist or Facebook for used window units, you can often pick up one year old ones for 1/2 price or less.

Last thing, if you don't have one get a ceiling fan in the room. Again, the biggest you can fit and buy a decent brand (I like Hunter) so it's not noisy and it will really help move the air around.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Feb 2020 09:28

I don't like window units because they are all in one box, including the most noisy parts. Split mini move the noisiest parts away to a remote outside area.

etjohnson
# Posted: 3 Apr 2020 23:27

I usually don't much to add since I don't have a cabin. I do live in a small house though @ only 794 sf. I'm in the south, in an urban setting and my entire house is cooled well with a window unit. The unit was in place when I purchased my home 15 years ago. It looks to be from the 90's so probably lacking in efficiency. When I first bought the house, you could feel radiant heat by the ceiling and exterior walls pretty easily during summer but the main living space stayed cool. Several years ago I had the house insulated. It was built in 1940 so the only insulation at all was 4" of rock wool in the attic. I had the walls, attic and floor insulated. The whole house stays cool with the window a/c and my power bill is really low. You can definitely cool a room that size with a window unit.

Eddy G
# Posted: 4 Apr 2020 07:12

You can cool and heat a room and or a home with a window or through the wall style heat pump.

A “heat pump” is nothing more than a reversible A/C unit.
In cooling operation cool air comes out the front and hot air comes out the back
In heating operation a reversing valve changes the systems refrigerant flow and heat comes out the front cool air goes out the back.
There is mechanical operation and physics to it all but that’s it put simply.
It gets a little tricky trying to heat inside when outside is below 20 deg or so..some have electric heat back up.

Heat pumps have become better and very efficient over the years so the short answers is yes it’s possible but you should do some research and talk to a pro before investing. FYI there are no HVAC pro’s at Best Buy or Home Depot find one in you area or on line..

Tentswhich
# Posted: 7 Jul 2021 06:01 - Edited by: Tentswhich

I'm not sure if a window air conditioner will suit you. It's just that such air conditioners are usually noisy, and it won't be cool if this is your bedroom.
Suppose the outdoor unit of the split system is located on the facade, and no one pays attention to them anymore. In that case, the window air conditioner and the window's appearance will spoil, and there will be a lot of noise.
I think it is better to overpay a little but have a modern air conditioner, with more benefit in use. Also, you can't really go to the window to look through it! And why is it necessary at home then at all if this block sticks out in it? I wouldn't use such an air conditioner for anything.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Jul 2021 10:44 - Edited by: gcrank1

Of course a window air conditioner will work, just do the calc for the cubic feet you need to cool and look for a unit that meets that, your power voltage and window size. The calculators and info are all easily found online, but: L x W x H = Cu. Ft. Since your ceiling is slanted split the diff at 9' or go with the 10' for H and be just a smidge oversize.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.