Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / parking a travel trailer on very unlevel st? help
optimistic
# Posted: 15 May 2020 15:35

I want to buy a lagre 33ft travel trailer, park it on the street near me for 2-3 weeks while I work on it, then bring it to my land.

The street is very unlevel. My plan is to put a wheel lock on it, scissor level it like crazy, then put wheel chocks there.... Will this work?

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 16 May 2020 09:42

Use 2 Jack Stands at the rear, one on the trailer tongue (three points define a plane).

deercula
# Posted: 16 May 2020 12:13

It might work but, is it legal where you live? If you have neighbors they will hate it.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 16 May 2020 16:58

If I can park a car there, I can park a trailer there.
You're not going to make the underpinnings more attractive unless you put some kind of skirt around it.

old243
# Posted: 16 May 2020 21:41

I assume it is tandem axle . I carry 2x8 hardwood planks, long enough to span the 2 axles, as well as several shorter pieces look at how unlevel the place you plan on parking is. you can put one or more , on the low side, if it is very uneven, use a 2x4 or 4x4, under the planks to create a ramp, then back unto it. chock your wheels. When you have it level. lower your stabalisers.. Very rare that you will get a level camp ground. old243

optimistic
# Posted: 16 May 2020 22:54

Thank you fro the advice! Don't worry it is just for a couple of weeks.

Princelake
# Posted: 17 May 2020 07:59

If just block the wheels really good. You may not be able to level it. The jacks that come with the trailer don't have much adjustments for unlevel surfaces. You'll have the back bumper right on the ground and front jack up in the air. They are designed to be on nice level ground. Since it's just temporary just block the heck out of it so it doesn't go for a ride by itself.

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Jun 2022 14:36 - Edited by: gcrank1

Imo, you had best 'clear this' notion with your local powers that be. Nobody but you is going to know it will be short term and some will likely not even want to take the chance. I predict 'calls' will be made.....
I dont put much faith in those little 'leveling jacks', mostly they should have only about enough tension on them to take the shake out of the unit. Leveling via the wheel ramps is the best keying off the hitch jack height, dbl chock, then block up the back end.
An afterthought....will your insurance cover you if some hooligans decide to push it off the blocks and watch it roll downhill?

Fanman
# Posted: 15 Jun 2022 12:46 - Edited by: Fanman

Two years later, he's probably long done with it either way.

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 Jun 2022 19:52

Hmmm
I had made an edit acknowledging I had not noticed it was from way back after writing it all up, musta forgot to post it....
Good info for someone someday.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.