Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Long pull winch of windlass
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 11:35

I have a system at our place that allows us to pull material up a suspended cable from the lake to the cabin. We use an old logging winch that is major overkill, requires us to run the generator and is slow. I would like to find something faster and less energy hungry.

Right now it takes about 6 min to pull the full 125' and another 6 min to reset to the bottom.

Most winches have 100' or less of cable.
Im thinking a windlass might work for this but I dont want to spend $1000+

Does anyone have any suggestions of a device that could do this? Or I may build one from an old AC motor.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 14:04 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

I've seen your videos and it looks like you like building stuff. How about something like this?:

Woodworking | Sledding with out a hill Tow Reel | Winter Fun

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 15:31

How about a old ride on lawnmower and use the rear wheels as the windless. If you get a hydro stat one it could be extreamly speed variable.

mj1angier
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 17:59

Maybe this:
https://www.amazon.com/Landworks-Electric-Portable-Brushless-1000-2000/dp/B0862132XP/ ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Capstan&qid=1593208666&sr=8-5

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 21:32

Since your current winch is so slow and over powering you could use a block and tackle to lower the pull rating yet raise the line speed. Kind of backwards of what people normaly use a block and tackle for.

You would hook the winch to one pulleys anchor point then bring the other pully down to say a tree. The rope that's actually in the block and tackle would then become your line to run down to the lake.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 22:01

When I planned such a thing, before I built my $10,000 road instead, I was going to use a pulley with a rope tied to my truck, and drive 124'.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 23:44

thanks everyone.

I want to run it off solar and we can't get a vehicle on site so those ideas wont work.

KelVarnsen, Thanks for the video. I think something like this could work, I would need a more powerful motor as we are pulling 100lbs up a 40 degree incline but I am looking at doing something like it.

Brettny, your idea is a good one. I will investigate.

mj1angier, thanks for the link. In the specs it says 5.5' per minute. That cant be right. I will email them for a proper speed

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 27 Jun 2020 09:57

Car/truck starter motors have enough power, are easy to bolt up, use battery power, and are cheap.

NorthRick
# Posted: 27 Jun 2020 10:37

I think some sort of "ski lift" setup might be best for you. Have 2 hook ups spaced half-way on the loop. Hook your load to one hook and pull it up the hill. When it gets to the top the other hook will be at the bottom. Hook the next load to it. That way you never wast time running the hook back down the hill

rpe
# Posted: 27 Jun 2020 13:47

I'm like the hydrostat lawn tractor idea. Seems right up your alley! A video series awaits...

The car starter would have the power required, but they are designed for very intermittent operation. Still _might_ work, but I kind of have my doubts.

Whatever you build, do it with safety in mind!

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Jun 2020 10:07

Quoting: rpe
The car starter would have the power required, but they are designed for very intermittent operation.

electric forklift motor or golf cart motor will work, but they are 36 to 48 vdc

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 29 Jun 2020 22:25

Thanks for all the ideas folks. I will let you know if I get any of them up and running.

doglvr
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 16:28 - Edited by: doglvr

Portable Winch co has a great winch. It is literally the best investment I have ever made. This thing will pull anything and is incredibaly rugged and with mechanical advantage it is endless with what you can do with it. I bought the gas powered 5000 and cut down and logged out 90' hemlock and spruce trees from 200+ feet down a steep embankment. Saved myself thousands of dollars. They are a small owned and operated outfit in Canada and are great people to work with. I know you said you didn't want to spend $1000+ but they recently came out with a battery powered one for about $850 bucks. I here it is more powerful and faster than the gas one that I have. It will pull up to 38' per minute on the highest speed. Drawback is battery powered.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.