Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Next Chapter: Alaska
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 00:35

It’s even hard to keep up with myself, but I’ve sold my Oregon property and moved full time up to Alaska. I got a job with the National park service. I’ve found my new recreational spot in the Broad Pass area south of Denali Park. It’s hike and ATV access only, but only a mile off the highway. I’m really excited about this place. I’ll start with an Alaska tent and tarp canvass tent with small wood stove. 10 acres.
F207C8B478FB40ECA.jpeg
F207C8B478FB40ECA.jpeg
7786A7D0BA2E4A929.jpeg
7786A7D0BA2E4A929.jpeg

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 00:50

Wonderful area! I know it well. Congrats

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 06:51

Wow some view.
If you dont mind me asking how much does 10ac cost?

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 08:01

Awesome. Sounds like a great adventure for someone younger than me. But I’m a bit jealous

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 08:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Wow, in AK now and a job with the National Park Service, heaven on earth right there. Love those spruce forest. Love the real dark green and the short branches of the spruce trees.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 08:39 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Brettny
Wow some view.
If you dont mind me asking how much does 10ac cost?

Brett, the state sells lots all the time, 5 acres for 8 to 15K, you can even buy it online from the "Alaska Dept of Land and Mining"

https://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsales/

paulz
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 10:17

Wow, at those prices almost want to buy something just to dream about.

Beautiful spot Badger.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 10:28

This was a private sale. He was asking 35k, but I offered 17k cash and was firm at that. He accepted obviously. There's no automobile access. It's .75 mile from the Parks highway. But, once winter comes a guy could get pretty much anything up there.

It's true the state sells land and 5 acres tend to go for 10k. But, there are a ton of bogs for sale that look good on a map. I would venture to say that half of them have tundra/bog issues. You want terra firma in Alaska. Small spindly black spruce are an indicator of wet ground. There are spruce in front of my lot, but the actual lot has birch and white spruce. And, I'm on a gentle hillside. Finding something in this particular valley was a score, mostly state and national park land.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 10:30

I'll post more pictures once I open up the view. Mosquitoes have been really bad this year so it should be quite a fun chore cutting timber.

jsahara24
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 12:43

Looks great and i'm anxious to see your progress, and lots of pictures!

What do you plan to do for this coming winter? Seems your temporary structure would make for a long winter....

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 12:45

Yeah, I’ll live in Healy in a normal house for the winter and just work on the property on my weekends.

hattie
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 12:46

Exciting news for you! I can't wait to follow your adventure. Your spot looks beautiful!!! Congratulations!!!

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 14:44

BadgersHollow, what’s the elevation? My recollection it’s about 2,500-2,800. I’m at 2,750 and have similar looking forest.

Yes the mosquitos have been bad this year, heavy snow and late melt I think are the culprits. They generally taper off as the summer progresses.

I agree on your post of caution on the DNR land sales. Often swamp land or extremely challenging access. There are exceptions with the better lands having a higher price, but buyer beware on the DNR sales. If it’s cheap, there is a good reason for it!

Who owns the land between the Parks and your property? The previous owner of my Alaskan homestead was able to purchase about a 20 yard sliver of land between the highway to our property and we put in a real dirt road to the home. But the half mile ride you have is a piece of cake by Alaska standards. In the winter it about the same as a road with a snow machine and sled. You can transport just about anything during the winter months.

NorthRick
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 15:54

Looks nice. Congrats on your find. I have some friends with cabins in that area.

In case you don't already know, that area can be really popular for snowmachining. It often gets the first dump of rideable snow along the road system. If southcentral and Kenai are having bad snow years, you can see a lot more snow traffic over the whole winter.

Our cabin is in the Petersville area and that's where I prefer to ride but we have taken trips up by Hurricane and the Igloo. Fun times.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 16:58

I’m at 2160 elevation. On a little side hill over the Chulitna. River is 900 feet away as crow flies and 50 feet down hill.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 17:01

Quoting: Alaskajohn
Who owns the land between the Parks and your property?

One private parcel, then DNR land between myself and the road. Then state land on my other three sides. Denali park boundary is 3500 feet away.

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 17:25

A dream come true...congratulations. Please send more pics!

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 22:04

BadgersHollow, excuse my poor manners for not saying this earlier! Welcome to the great Alaska neighborhood! If you haven’t found it yet, the Alaska Outdoors Supersite Forum is a good forum for all things outdoors in Alaska. A ton of useful information.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 Jul 2020 23:06

Thank you, I'm excited to get some work in.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 9 Jul 2020 11:24

Welcome to Alaska ! Yeppers the misquotes can be friendly, after the first freeze and the white socks come out it gets even better. Yeah hoo. Good hunting areas. Caribou and ptarmigan right down the road. Denali Hwy is worth exploring. If you don’t have a snogo you may want to consider that. You can follow marked trails in the winter that take you hundreds of miles that even get groomed once in a while. Since it’s usually dark out it’s a fun way to get out.
I have been blessed to be able to live in this area and raise my family. If you’re into the outdoors you’re in a great spot. All I have to do is look north and I’ll be able to see right over your cabin. Or look out my front window at home.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 13 Jul 2020 22:48

I hiked in again today. I gotta figure out a better way to cross the river. People clearly cross in their ATVs. The river is crotch deep at the deepest spot. My thigh waders were an inch too short (that’s what she said).

Alaskan brothers and sisters, are grasses a good sign of solid ground or does it mean that it stays wet? The timber on my little hill is big by Alaska standards, like 20-40 feet tall spruces. Mostly spruce, I see the beetle is steadily creeping north up the valley. And, some pretty good patches of alder. Again, I’m on a mild hill, so no bogs. Just wondering if the grassy knoll is good or bad for a build site/settling.
EC8F359E67C24AEC8.jpeg
EC8F359E67C24AEC8.jpeg
4C88206845FB4814B.jpeg
4C88206845FB4814B.jpeg
69ABC89BCF894EDF9.jpeg
69ABC89BCF894EDF9.jpeg
482B44D4035242FE8.jpeg
482B44D4035242FE8.jpeg

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:57

BadgersHollow, it’s kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but I think you’ll be ok. It looks as though you aren’t in a boggy area and you have decent drainage.

Do you have thoughts on how you will construct your cabin and the foundation type? A good resource is the Cold Climate Housing Resource Center out Fairbanks. They have a good on line library of useful articles on construction in Alaska.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 11:45

You should be fine . I went to the federal land office in Wasilla and looked at their usgs maps. They have subsurface information. The river levels will change dramatically. That river may likely be knee deep this fall. If that. The snow is melting higher up and rainy season is here. The salmon like it. What a beautiful view ! I’ve looked at that mountain since the day I got here if she was out. And am still in marvel. Great trail system up there up you get yourself a wheeler n snogo.
Good travels !

NorthRick
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 15:52

The fact that it is sloped and you have white spruce means it isn't likely to be boggy. You might try bringing a shovel or post-hole diggers your next time out. Dig a few test holes to see what you have.

You are a bit south for permafrost but given that you are in the pass it is possible.

aktundra
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 17:02

Welcome from another Alaskan! Looks like a great piece of land. Look forward to your build.

naturelover66
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 18:26

Wow its so beautiful there. . i have a good idea but what wildlife will u be seeing there?

Cant wait to see your build. Good luck!!

Lisa

AK Seabee
# Posted: 14 Jul 2020 21:53

Welcome to Alaska Badger!

Looks like a nice parcel. Remote with great access (by Alaska standards).

As mentioned by others, a snogo is critical to haul in building materials. A wheeler makes life simple in accessing the property.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 15 Jul 2020 01:04

Nature lover, there is a ton of bear scat on the trail. Moose. Lynx. Fox. Caribou. Wolves. Probably some martin and other fur bearers. I'm literally 2500 feet from Denali Park boundary.

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 Jul 2020 05:30

Very exciting. In a world so troubled its nice to see a place so beautiful and healthy. Enjoy !

toofewweekends
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 20:50

Welcome to Alaska! I spent 29 years with the NPS in the Anchorage office, now enjoying retirement here. You're working at DENA, I assume? Your land is in a nice area, and access sounds like it won't be difficult. My cabin is in the Trapper Creek area.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.