Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Too Hot to Work
paulz
# Posted: 17 Aug 2020 18:43 - Edited by: paulz

Strange weather here on the Pacific coast. Crazy thunder, lightning and rain in August!

But I noticed something interesting. Last week, the first day of the heat wave, it was around 100F. I was dreading it but had to work on my never ending shop roof. The humidity was only 20% however, and I was able to work all day, which surprised me, and even felt pretty good the next day. Hardly sweat much, for me. The following days the temp dropped 10-20F but the humidity was 40-50%. Sweat like a pig and wore me down. I think I sweat out important electroplasims and such.

Then this crazy thunder and rain, on my roof wood and into the shop below. Crap, thought August would be a good month to uncover and finish. At least it dries quickly in the heat.
thunder.JPG
thunder.JPG

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 Aug 2020 18:59

Here on east end on Long Island we rarely see temps much over 90 but the humidity is 80-95%. It takes the life right out of you.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Aug 2020 20:38

Quoting: paulz
around 100F. I was dreading it but had to work on my never ending shop roof. The humidity was only 20% however, and I was able to work all day, which surprised me, and even felt pretty good the next day. Hardly sweat much, for me.

When it is hot and the humidity low the real danger is that a person does not notice that they become dehydrated. One still sweats but it evaporates before you hardly notice it. I could drink a gallon of water in a few hours and still not have to pee as it was being sweated out without notice.

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
humidity is 80-95%. It takes the life right out of you.

I really do not like high humidity!

Nobadays
# Posted: 17 Aug 2020 22:42

I'm with you ICC! I'm originally from eastern Oregon where it can be hot in the summer but the humidity is always low. Even here in the mtns if Colorado I find it too humid for my liking!

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Aug 2020 07:46

20* humidity..sound like a dream. It's only that low here when all the water is frozen. Usualy when its 80F+ it's over 70* humidity and yes it sucks.
Did a roof in july a few years ago. 90* by 10am and so humid you could see it. We brought a cooler on the roof and got down by 11am.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Aug 2020 10:14

Quoting: Brettny
20* humidity..sound like a dream. It's only that low here when all the water is frozen.

LOL

sparky30_06
# Posted: 18 Aug 2020 11:42

been close to 100 here with heat index over 112. Been rough working outside.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Aug 2020 13:26

Yeah that 20% day was pretty nice..back up to 50 today.

Ever since I got my property a decade ago, I have noticed how much more sweaty and fatigued I get out there, and generally just chalk it up to hard work. But I wonder, working under a canopy of huge trees, in a valley with very little wind, if it's substantially more humid than my suburban house, open area with good breezes. I've never played with humidity gauges, maybe it's time.

Here is a web page I was reading on the subject:

https://blog.getawair.com/6-health-symptoms-associated-with-humidity
Your body’s main cooling mechanism is sweat. When sweat evaporates off of the skin, it reduces your core body temperature and in doing so, brings a feeling of relief. When the relative humidity of the air is high, sweat doesn't evaporate — but that doesn’t stop your body from producing it. Eventually, this severe loss of water, salt, and minerals can leave you overheated and struggling to maintain normal body functions. Muscle cramps, headaches, light-headedness, dizziness, increased heart rate, and fatigue are all early signs of heat exhaustion.

On the other end of the spectrum, extremely low humidity can also cause dehydration. This is usually a bigger problem during the winter and fall or in desert climates, where outdoor humidity levels can dip as low as 20 percent (an ideal humidity range is between 40 and 50 percent). To make matters worse, the dry heat produced by most home heating systems can consume what little moisture is left in your indoor air.

ICC
# Posted: 18 Aug 2020 16:11

Quoting: Brettny
20* humidity..sound like a dream

Another thing I like about low humidity is paint, stain and clear coats dry quickly. In fact sometimes the water based stains want to dry too fast, drying too much before they soak in to achieve the color wanted. That's one reason I prefer oil stsins. But I do prefer the waterbased clear coats. Minwax or Varathane.

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Aug 2020 05:51

I have never had that problem as when it's that dry I'm below the temp it says to apply in. Oil is my preferred stain too.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 19 Aug 2020 08:30

Son and I painted cabin interior a few weeks ago in high heat/humidity. Dripping sweat! We each drank about a gallon of water per day. Son didn’t complain that I painted in my boxers...

Glad the painting is complete! And now we’ve cooled down in my neck of the woods.

School starts tomorrow so I’ll be losing my free labor except weekends...

SE Ohio
Before painr
Before painr
After paint
After paint
Paint spatters!
Paint spatters!

neb
# Posted: 20 Aug 2020 22:13

At the cabin at the ranch I have less then 6 inches of rain since the snow melt. Very dry and hot and there are fires just about everyday. We were extremely blessed that we had a extremely wet 2019 fall.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Sep 2020 18:30

It's 110F here! 14% humidity. I worked until noon outside, didn't feel that bad. Drank a lot of water.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Sep 2020 19:20

A friend in Scotts Valley, CA told me a few hours ago that it was 108F there. No A/C; 83 inside. 20%. Too hot!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.