Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / suggestions for ground cover
slatecreek
# Posted: 8 Sep 2020 20:16

So our cabin is in the woods with some clearing around it meaning it gets a little sun light. Looking for some kind of low maintenance shady grass, cover etc that will grow for us. I graded it recently and its yellow clay sticky yellow clay when it rains. We have a paver path but tired of looking at clay and dirt looking for ideas. Too much area for mulch and leaves will cover some of it.

redneckpaul
# Posted: 8 Sep 2020 22:10

Bar Harbor juniper makes good ground cover. very low maintenance once established.

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 00:24

Vinca

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 07:16

I like Liriope
6250F6305F204D03A.jpeg
6250F6305F204D03A.jpeg

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 16 Oct 2020 17:19

I vote for sweet woodruff, if you grab a handful and make bundles of it and place the bundles around the cabin they are said to repel mice once dried. It seems to have helped at our cabin.
woodruff.jpeg
woodruff.jpeg

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:16 - Edited by: Brettny

We too have very sticky clay when you scrape off the topsoil. Right now we have wood chips around out place. After they break down to decent dirt and mix with the leaves I may plant something. I knew mud would be a problem and free wood chips was a quick easy fix but is working out so well I just keep getting more loads.

In my area wood chips are free, sometimes even delivery is free. Wood chips and mulch mean two different things here. Wood chips are right out of a commercial chipper. Mulch are wood chips that are reground and died. Usualy mulch is $30yr picked up.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 17 Oct 2020 11:03

I like snow on the mountain.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Mar 2021 21:35

I was out weed whacking today with my new 80v Li whacker and noticed these yellow flowers spreading in part of my yard. What are they, I could live with them.. or is it just the grass flowering?
20210308_181157_resi.jpg
20210308_181157_resi.jpg

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 12 Mar 2021 18:12

@paulz, if you can get a clearer pic (close-up of just leaves & of just flowers) I might have a better suggestion, but maybe yellow woodsorel https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=OXST . If so, it is an edible "weed," or normally unloved plant

paulz
# Posted: 13 Mar 2021 17:11

Quoting: moneypitfeeder
If so, it is an edible "weed," or normally unloved plant

Thanks MPF. I was out on a road trip today and saw these things everywhere, giant meadows full of them. So yeah, just a flowering weed I'm sure. Looked pretty though, though fields full of them. Wish I had taken a photo but I was driving as usual. Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.