Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin advice (Island in Norway)
Anonymous
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 16:05

Hi! My first post here. I live in Norway, and have a place on an Island where I can have a cabin. My wallet is not very big so I´m checking for creative and cool ways to get a cabin. I think prefab would be perfect since it´s quite a job to build everything out there. Any suggestions where to buy and what kind of prefab would be cool? Size 50-70 square meters. large windows. Good insulation preferred.

sveinis
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 16:08

I did something wrong here, it was me that posted it but I thought I already was logged in...Anyway, I´m excited about this forum! Hope for help and good advices here.

sveinis
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 16:14

Here´s a pic 100meters from the place that the cabin will be.
DSCF1662.JPG
DSCF1662.JPG

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 17:50

So for us in the U.S that is 550-750sq ft. What is your mode of transportation to the island? How far is this from your home? Will you have utilities?

From my experience building yourself is cheaper if you have the time and skills. If your wallet allows the next step may be to have someone build the shell or frame the walls and finish the roof for you. You do the rest.

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 04:16

Good point. I think helicopter could be an option, or maybe by boat if the elements are small. The carpenters are expensive here (so maybe you could come over and build it cheaper than them.....) I actually just found this, which is quite cheap:

http://www.woody35.no/

What do you think? (There´s also a 50 sqm model)

All the best, Svein

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 14:08

Svein,

I would love to come over to Norway! The only thing holding me back is the need to make a living. I wish I was to the point of being able to modestly retire. I would spend my time traveling around meeting people and helping them build their small cabins. It would be a blast.

The Woody35 looks great. It is a little smaller than your original 50-70m2. I didn't see a price. Maybe it was on the Press page that I couldn't translate with google.

The elements will be smallest if you build from scratch. Do you have the time or skills to build it yourself. Perhaps you can find a carpenter that will let you help to reduce the cost.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.