Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Patching aluminum...
WILL1E
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 08:02

Bought a used enclosed trailer to primarily use as a storage unit on my new property. The trailer was previously owned by cell tower contractors and it's got a few beauty marks.

On the side walls they drill some holes through the walls to run bolts through to mount stuff on the inside. I'd like to remove those bolts and patch those spots up. Most are 1/2" or less in diameter.

The roof has a rack therefor there are some cracks where ladders and such hit the aluminum roof and caused more hairline cracks/tears. The gaps are less than 1/16" and maybe 1/2-1" long.

My thoughts are to use Vulkem 116 to fill the spots in. I also bought some thin aluminum step flashing which i think is used for roofing, to make little patches. Figured i could goop on some Vulkem, cut a patch slightly larger than the hole/tear and then push it into the Vulkem.

Does this sound like a good plan to seal things up or should i be thinking differently?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 08:19 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

There is actually a product trailer builders use on the seams, its called Manus Bond (brand) and the type is 76-AM

I had a nosecone on my cargo trailer fail (plastic cracked from UV) and was under warranty, they sent me a new fiberglass nose cone and a bunch of this sealer. I used this to seal the roof joints and now, do periodic maintenance and hit the seams.

There is also a "Sno-Seal" for RV's too. Paint it on, its white, reflects sunlight and keeps it cool in there. Maybe the self leveling sealer on the cracks and seams then cover roof with the Sno Seal over top of everything else.

Manus Bond 76-AM

Its not easy to find in a 6 pack of tubes, but I have found it on ebay

Here is Manus Bond 25-AM on amazon, it might be the same, just not self leveling which would be good for the sides.

This is what the trailer mfg use in production.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 08:34

For 1/2in holes use some 3m marine cawlk. It having a ladder rack on the top that has hit things I see this thing leaking in the future.

jbirdmotox
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 08:44

You could check out EternaBond tape. It's pretty amazing stuff. Once stuck on good luck getting it off.

ICC
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 08:51

Yes to the Eternbond. !!!

https://www.eternabond.com/#:~:text=ETERNABOND%C2%AE%20is%20the%20only,repairs%20on%2 0non%20pressurized%20leaks.

old243
# Posted: 6 Oct 2020 09:25

You could also put a pitched frame roof over the flat roof. If sealing was not possible. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.