Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Local hemlock from saw mill
smitty
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 04:14

Hi again guys,
I recently got a price quote on the framing materials, and siding from a saw mill local to the area we are building our cabin.
The price is quite a bit lower than Lowes. And I know the lumber is from local hemlock, and the money stays local, and gives someone a job to feed their family. So I am leaning in that direction.
I have a quote for nominal sized and true sized lumber. And total savings using the local saw mill is about $300 for total framing.
And the quote I received on Adirondack style siding was REALLY reasonable. We love the look of the rough cut lap siding, I guess it's called Adirondack style.
What do you think guys, any reason I should not buy all my lumber from the local saw mill, and use local hemlock lumber for building?
Thanks

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 08:34

buy local, and make a friend in the area at the same time. I like the look of the siding also.

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 08:55

Agreed. Find out if the sawmill cuts to rough or finished dimensions. Either is ok but if you need additional studs later on you'll have to be sure to match up.

Just
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 08:57

IF the lumber is not kiln dryed and graded u can expect a little more waste . pile your lumber strait and keep it covered from the sun untill you use it . Hemlock is good wood but con get to dry to nail if aged to long [5 years] !!

smitty
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 05:28

We have the same problem in the 120 yr old house we are in now. Everything was cut with a chain saw and axe. You have to drill a hole before you can pound a nail in it, and when we put in new doors and windows, nothing matched up.

smitty
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 05:31

Just,
He said he could do both true and finished (nominal) sizes. I'm thinking sticking with that so it will be easier to match up later on for a shed addition or something.
Yup I think local is the way to go.

Just
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 09:03

yup I use it when ever i can ,as long as there is'nt a building inspector around!!

Jerry
# Posted: 13 Apr 2011 09:37

Rough cut lumber will not give you consistent sizes, but you can either take that into account and live with it, or run one of the narrow sides through a planer to even them up. In other words, if you want 2x4's (finished 3 1/2 x 1 1/2) have them cut over 3 1/2" and plane them to exact depth. Then you have straight walls and can mix them with commercial lumber.

Also, our local zoning officials frown on rough cut because they claim they present additional fire hazards. Never really understood why.

smitty
# Posted: 13 Apr 2011 18:22 - Edited by: smitty

Thanks Jerry..
I'm not sure why either, I think it's just big biz in our politics. I don't think they treat "untreated" lumber with fire retardant do they?
The one thing that concerns me is moisture. If they aren't kiln or air dried right or enough or whatever. As they dry out in the walls, what would happen to the structure. Warping, cracking. Things like that is what concerns me. But all pros and cons side by side. I think the local saw mill is a no brainier for what we're doing. I assume hemlock is as strong if not stronger than yellow pine or white wood they sell at Lowes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.