Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Aged Color of White Pine?
spencerin
# Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:46

Curious if anyone has seen the color of raw white pine to have darken to a more tan/golden hue over time. I have raw white pine car siding inside that's a year old and I had to replace some recently. The new rows are very white, and in contrast, the existing rows are more golden. I don't recall the existing rows going in golden, so I'm wondering if they just aged nicely over time.....and if the new rows will catch up to them.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:00

Yes the wood has turned color. The new boards will also turn more yellow as time passes.

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:19

Absolutely will darken in a year or so

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:48

I've used both White & Red pine in finishing my place (I mean LOTS of it) interior, even milled my own casings, baseboards and trim / mouldings.

It most certainly does change colour over time, it will also be affected by direct & indirect sunlight. There is also a difference depending on the finish used. Most of my ceilings are done with genuine Shellac (clear not amber) and it's allowing the pine to get it's colour. Bathroom & Kitchen have clear Polyurathane (cupboards & cabinets too as they are all pine) and they are not darkening. I failed to use Polyurathne with a sunblocking additive, so my window sills have gotten Sun-Fade (windows are in Bailey Boxes through the walls, providing a 6" window sill depth).

The Red Pine is deepening in colour and the red is really showing throug the grain. It's actually much nicer than I expected.

The home exterior is Live Edged White Cedar left natural. It is very slowly silvering but the process is quite neat as the cedar goes through the change cycle to silvering, in a way it is shame to lose those great colours coming out of the wood as it ages.

justins7
# Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:33

It also depends where the wood is situated. The pine walls in my living room have been there for decades and I think it's been slowly darkening due to the use of the wood stove over time. You can see ghosts of pale pine color where items were placed on the wall for years, blocking airflow and sunlight. All the surrounding wood is a nice, darker brownish yellow.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:55

And just FYI, for people like myself who do not like the yellowing, darkening that occurs, use a clear acrylic top coat that has UV blockers. That does not totally stop the color change over time but it helps a lot. I have some walls and ceilings that were covered in T&G pine ten years ago. Never stained, but were clear coated with Minwax Polycrylic; goes on milky white and dries crystal clear. I had a clock hanging for 10 years and removed it a few weeks ago for some repairs. There is the very slightest outlines where it hung. Most people will not see it unless they look very carefully.

Eddy G
# Posted: 22 Oct 2020 07:28 - Edited by: Eddy G

I don’t think there is anyway to actually STOP it completely. Other than staining or painting it..
Slow it down maybe..
It’s light...sunlight UV and environment...I removed (not because of color) an enclosed porch ceiling that aged to a dark orange color and the same pine inside was gold...
Over the last 5 yrs we’ve put pine up on the porch, in the kitchen, living room and two bedrooms..
It’s different shades from white to gold throughout...

We used 3 coats of water based semi gloss Polly on all of it pre instillation.

I know that didn’t answer your question. Just my look at it...Interested to see if there is a technique out there that works long term

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.