Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Engineered hardwood in a cabin
grover
# Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:58

Small cabin, 24 x 28 footprint and we are ready to lay flooring. We decided and purchased engineered hardwood. This is basically 3/8 inch plywood with the top layer being hardwood. It it tongue and groove and not snap lock. My cabin will be heated when we are not there but I was hoping just enough to keep things from freezing. I don't know how low a thermostat will go.
My worry is about the wood flooring which we were going to staple down with crown staples which is one of the ways they recommend. My worry is the temperature change and possible humidity change will buckle the floor.
Now I'm wondering if I should go with floating the floor which means gluing each plank together. That is also an option with the flooring manufacturer along with gluing down to the subfloor.
Will I be alright if I leave a gap (1/4 - 1/2 inch) at the walls around the room?
What do you guys think?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Oct 2020 08:14

No thermostat goes below 40 degrees unless its an RV one, then it has an "OFF" position.

Have you purchased the flooring yet? Get the floating snap together stuff that floats on a pad, no glue etc. Nice thing about no glue if you can do repairs ets easily. M have the floating snap together stuff and my place goes all winter no heat and gets below 0. Not a lot of humidity over there though.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:32

I had a similar debate when I built my place, but as I hav a Concrete FPSF Foundation I had several options to consider. As I hate synthetics and not a fan of fake thing, I considered various flooring types. I managed to find manufactured floating laminate floor with low chemicals and that looks quite good (and suits my build). I forget the brand name now but it is made in Germany and was certified to not be using toxics.

I'm happy with the choice, it wears really well, was easy enough to install and I have no issues to report at all. Because this place was a New Build, I installed baseboards after I layed the flooring but allowed for "float" space so teh baseboards are not in physical contact with the flooring as such.

mj1angier
# Posted: 19 Oct 2020 10:30

I think you will be fine either way you go. Because it is an engineered product, you will get less movement due to temp change.

https://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/2019/07/31/engineered-flooring-installation-on-concrete /

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.