Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Floating cabin...
WILL1E
# Posted: 17 Nov 2020 12:32

As i'm researching cabin styles, floorplans, etc. to start planning for a spring build, an idea came to mind. What about combining a childhood dream of a treehouse with my idea for a small rustic cabin!

Here is a cluster of pines in area i'm thinking about building.

I know pines are softwood and they move alot, but what if i used brackets like these:

I'd only be looking to elevate the cabin a couple feet off the ground and i would use a tree near each corner for support. The pines are 12-16" diameter.

Thoughts?

Nate R
# Posted: 17 Nov 2020 13:09

It could work, but in some ways, adds a lot of complication...if you're only going a couple feet up, I'd question if that's worth the hassle. Might end up being the worst of both worlds, you know?

Are your red pines really 12-16" diameter at breast height? if so, yeah, they won't move TOO much, but definitely will move in the wind!

The upside is we've had a few episodes of high wind events in the last couple years, so if they survived that....they're probably in good shape. And red pines self-prune lower branches that don't get sun, so they're ideal for not having any low branches....

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 17 Nov 2020 13:14

Quoting: WILL1E
dream of a treehouse

Buy this book: Treehousing: The Instructional Guide

Look at his hardware.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Nov 2020 13:39

My first build was in a pine woods. As time went on, aging trees and wind etc. left me thinking I hadnt cut back the trees near far enough.......
I vote no.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.