Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Trees to logs to boards using chainsaws
KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:14 - Edited by: KinAlberta

My brother sent me a great video. (See below.)

Sorry I couldn’t find a nice generic thread on milling one’s own boards for this so I’m starting this one. Hopefully others will post information here on other jugs, rails etc for cutting logs into boards.

Two Chainsaw Secrets | Turning a Tree into Perfect Boards - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz64ELkxdA

AKfisher
# Posted: 23 Nov 2020 17:37

I have used a few chainsaw mills. The Granberg edging mill is great for slabbing logs. The Alaskan mill you can make boards and what not. I upgraded to a Norwood PM14. Chainsaw mill that runs on a rack system. ergonomics are much better then the Alaskan mill.

Pictures of my Stihl 660, ripping chain, 20" bar cutting 18" wide spruce slabs @ 17' long. I have milled birch and spruce. 660 has plenty of RPM's and power. Defiantly have to have a milling chain. Milled all my indoor trim, stairs, treads, etc with it.
Mill_1.jpg
Mill_1.jpg
Mill_2.jpg
Mill_2.jpg
Mill_3.jpg
Mill_3.jpg
Mill_4.jpg
Mill_4.jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Nov 2020 17:54

I have a Husky XPAT 576 and an Alaska Mill as I live in a forest and the same ideas. Takes time & consideration but it works well... A word on safety, not for weaklings, you have to be able to "really" handle the saw and do the work. Sharp Chains are mandatory, even a slightly tired chain will result in YOU making a lot of Blue Air.

It was no big hassle with Pine, Cedar but when I got to Maple, that's when the sweat starts.

BTW: REALLY IMPORTANT !
Nails or anything in the log can be a real problem. Some [blank] MOFO spiked two of the logs I was doing years ago, did not notice as the heads were not visible (embeded as tree grow around them). NOT Fun !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.