Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 2x4s for roof ventilation
pedersjo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2020 15:09

Good Morning,

I read these posts often, and have seen a lot of great information (thanks for that). I signed up to ask a question myself about our cabin. We have a flattish 2/12 pitched roof, the first half has been framed with 2x6s from the ridge to mid-roof then 2x4s from mid-roof to the eaves. This leaves little ventilation and there have been mold issues which we are attempting to resolve. I’d like to replace the 2x4s at the eaves with 2x6s which would give us better ventilation. I’ve read that some have added furring strips to the tops of the rafters to create more space, while others have simply secured 2x4s horizontally across the tops of rafters and below the sheathing to accomplish the same thing. It seems to me that would be more secure, however, I am unsure how far to space the 2x4s, and if in fact, this is a better way to go. Any input would be much appreciated. The roof is off, as well as the fascia and trim, so I am ready to proceed.

Thank you so much,
John

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Nov 2020 15:51

Have any pictures?

Even 2x6 leaves next to no room for venting and insulating. If you need to use 2x6 then I would just spray foam the bottom of the roof.

pedersjo
# Posted: 29 Nov 2020 15:02 - Edited by: pedersjo

There is an attic in the roof, which goes from flat to 5'. Would you vent at the ridge? Here are two photos. I'm sorry, one is upside down. Just noticed that after the upload.

Thanks,
John
Photo 1
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 2

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.