Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Railroad tie pier foundation
Jeronimo_317
# Posted: 29 Nov 2020 15:47

Hey everyone,

Very new here. And very recently started researching ideas for my cabin build. We want a 12x16’ floor plan, and it’ll mostly be used as a hunting cabin.

We have a flood-plane wooded property in southern Indiana right on the white river. Being so close to the river, we need to build our cabin up on piers— 4 ft high minimum. We recently came across 10 fresh (and free) railroad ties. Being that we’re on a budget, we’re considering using these for our foundation. Maybe burying them 3 or 4 feet, surrounding them with rock or concrete, and relying on the creosote to keep them from rotting away.

Anyone here have experience with railroad tie piers?

Thank you!

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Nov 2020 16:16

Welcome.... we built a 10x20 shed on railroad tie piers last summer. Ours are buried about 3 foot deep in well drained hillside ground... 3 feet got us almost a foot into the caliche... in the city caliche is called concrete! Very hard cemented travels. A neighbor has a similar sized building on rr tie piers that has stood there for 20+ years. Depending upon the type of soil, ties make good piers.

I'm not familiar with building on flood plane ground. My gut feeling is 4 feet in the ground should be enough but others with that kind of soil will know more.

Jeronimo_317
# Posted: 29 Nov 2020 17:36 - Edited by: Jeronimo_317

Thank you for the response. The soil there is sandy. I suppose that means the water will drain quickly.
Although there will be a few times each year when the river rises, and the bottom of the piers will be submerged.

I suppose if they start to rot 20 years from now, I can cut em out and replace with another railroad tie. That job would be less difficult if I didn’t concrete them into place.

Also, southern Indiana does freeze for most of the winter. But 4’ gets us below the frost line. If I go with railroad ties for the piers, I’ll be sure to place a concrete paver and some rock at the bottom to help keep it from sinking.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Nov 2020 07:11

Another option could be pouring a sono tube and attaching the rzr tie to it. Ties to have some stink to them and almost never go away

Jeronimo_317
# Posted: 30 Nov 2020 08:23

I’ve been considering that option as well. But I can’t find the right hardware for such a large (~8”x8”) post. And although it would likely last longer, it seems like a less sturdy/more laborious/more expensive option. But if the railroad ties won’t last long, or will have other issues I suppose it might be worth it.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:30

I would go for it. You’re cabin isn’t very big. I would suggest lateral supports to criss cross between them. They make long screws you can use if needed. Timberlock I think. If you built in a post and beam fashion using ties as posts then horizontal as a beam.
Good luck man

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:48

That's true 12x16 isnt that big. If your going to use pretty heavy timbers for skids you may be able to get away with just putting the thing on blocks.

How many ties can you get and do you think you could laminate 2 rows to make skids?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.