Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Fabric Shed
spencerin
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 20:42

Anyone ever own one of those fabric sheds (i.e. ShelterLogic)? Curious about durability and longevity. I've read both good things and bad things about them. If I were to get one, it'd be exposed to plenty of sunlight and breezes/wind. I can't imagine it'd last that long in such an environment, but I've seen massive fabric structures built that clearly cost a pretty penny, so you know those last.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 21:01 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ive had a cheap one from TSC for several (5?) years, the kind with sort of a gabled roof look. My daughter & husband had a bigger, garage size that was the preferred rounded top.
I added extra 'rafters' made of plastic elec conduit (had it) between the inadequate number of metal ones, zip ties were my friend. At each contact/pressure point inside I used cardboard strips to cushion and distribute the loading. Refrigerator boxes would be great for heavy duty long strips.
I also added a silver tarp over the top to take the weathering and UV.
Mine is still good though I just replaced the top-tarp this year, they did none of that and theirs failed 2 years ago. Pretty big expense, that, but destined to fail.

darz5150
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 21:16 - Edited by: darz5150

I've got a shelter logic one that's probably 7 years old. At least. The only hole in it came from a rogue tree limb dropping on it. Lol. I put another tarp across the top to fix that.
I will probably be getting another one soon. Not to replace the one I have. But because I have more stuff to store.
2 suggestions. Put a good duck tape strip along the top edge of the poles to help prevent extra wear and tare from the tarp rubbing against the poles. Like was mentioned above with the cardboard. Also, when you ratchet strap the tarp on. Don't over tighten it. It will only cause unnecessary stress on it.

Fanman
# Posted: 2 Dec 2020 22:08

I bought one a couple of years ago. One side of the top had defective fabric, it failed in a year. On the other side of the seam the fabric was intact. Shelter Logic said no, it was because one side was more exposed to the sun even though the damaged area was clearly delineated by the seam. The offered to sell me a replacement top at a reduced price, which I reluctantly accepted because I needed it.

They're definitely not as well made as when it was Cover-It.

Bruces
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 01:41

I cover them with used roofing tin when the tarps crap out on me ,I remove the ridge pole ,bolt a 2x4 on top in its place ,screw tin to that lengthwise ,then on the lower edge screw another 2x4 and the top of the next sheet of tin .Works good for years .I only ever got 2 years on the original tarps .I have also used some vinyl siding on the more verticle areas if I was running low on tin .

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 05:46

Only got 2yrs out of mine. I even cleaned the snow off of it and around it many times durring major storms. They really suck in the snow. Any snow that slides off needs to be shoveled away from the sides.

I could see how metal roofing could really make these more usefull. But at that point why pay for the metal frame? I bet you could find a metal frame for free with out much trouble.

Eddy G
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 06:02

I put one up about a month ago.
Was only up a few days when a good wind picked it up and tossed it over....
Caused a little damage to my boat (was under it) and my truck (in the driveway)
Part my fault, the stakes that came with it where useless and I used them anyway. Second I didn’t tie the sides down on all points and figured I’d get to it when I got to it (really my fault)

I bought two much much better tent stakes and pounded 2 of them at every foot (16 stakes) and I also replaced the crappy screw in stakes that tie the sides down.

We’ve had some heavy wind and it’s work out so.

Moral to the story is tie that sucker down...

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 07:45

If your putting something in these that's heavy for quite some time you can ratchet strap thr frame down to your boat. I never used the anchors on mine as it was on asphalt.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 17:23

I'm 0 and 7 on these things surviving a year. Just lost the latest one. A 10x20. I thought before I got back to the cabin again the most we would see was a dusting of snow. The cabin got 20" of wet snow. When I got back out there it was quite squashed. I think I'm done with them.

Houska
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 17:31

I've got 2 in Ontario, one and 3 years old, and my in-laws have 2 as well.

Up here, we have snow, though rarely the 20" others have mentioned. We don't have major wind issues.

I've had no troubles with the structure or with loads. The canvas on my first one started thinning after only a couple of months in summer sunlight. So I put a large tarp over it, carefully tied on a weighed down with rocks, and it's been fine since. I put a tarp on the 2nd one right after building and as a result the canvas has not deteriorated.

Up here, folk wisdom is to always get the round-top ones, that the A-frame/gable roof models can't handle the snow loads. On the round top, snow slides off. On the gable roofs, the weight makes the roof sag and then snap. Not sure if this reasoning is valid, but the roundtops have worked for us.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 18:41

Quoting: Houska
Up here, folk wisdom is to always get the round-top ones, that the A-frame/gable roof models can't handle the snow loads. On the round top, snow slides off. On the gable roofs, the weight makes the roof sag and then snap. Not sure if this reasoning is valid, but the roundtops have worked for us.

I lost a round top one to snow too. Granted, it had to spend the whole winter by itself but I was thinking it would shed snow and be fine. Nope. Got there next spring and it was flatter than a pancake.

Houska
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 21:26

Re snow shedding. I wonder if it's worth trying to prop up some of the frame junctions with 2x4s for the winter?

We have a yurt on our property. The "roof" has a very interesting wooden frame that under normal conditions dissipates force down to the walls. The maker provided us with a "snow kit" for the winter, intended for when you're not there to brush snow off. "Snow kit" sounds fancy, but it's just notched 2x4s to wedge between every 2nd roof rib and the floor, so that a load of wet snow can't push down too much and then make the roof sag. I wonder if something like that would help protect a ShelterLogic as well, if it would otherwise have to sit there for weeks under a heavy snow load.

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Dec 2020 23:05 - Edited by: gcrank1

Yes, I am convinced that more ribs is better! Ive also found that the heavier duty silver tarps Ive been using are slippery to the snow, but I still 'do a sweep' if we get a lot of snow, I dont want a buckled fabric shed on top of my stuff (better safe than sorry). It is at home though.....
I see the bare frames for these thing standing around fairly regular, been thinking of finding the same as mine and offering to remove it for free then rebuild my frame with the center sections they should have had from day one. That would make it better for the inevitable day when I have to afix some steel roofing after the fabric does give out. That would also be the time to disassemble and move it all to the cabin to use as a woodshed.
It's always something.....

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 05:49

By the time you buy a round top one (they cost almost 2x what a flat top one does), re brace it and put another tarp over it your still looking at maybe 5yrs. In the end how much are you really saving over building a real structure that should last 30+yrs.

I gave up after my first one of these failed in the summer. I just dont see spending money over and over again on a temporary structure when a real one is so easy to build.

Nobadays
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 09:06

I've got a brand new cover/tarp for a HF 10x10 shelter. We used the framework for the "bones" to build a greenhouse so didn't use the tarp. Anyone is welcome to it if they want to come to Colorado and get it!

We did add extra rafter poles so 5 each side counting the ends.

THIS GUY has a video of a HF shelter covered with metal, did a good job.... with the exception of running the roofing metal long ways. That might work where he is (Phoenix I think) but in snow country you would have to bolt pieces of lumber each side of the ridge, middle and at the eaves to reorient the metal correctly so snow could slide. I would add extra rafter pipe as well...maybe uprights under them.

I do think building a outbuilding this way would be a cheap alternative to a stick framed shed. I know for us... with a coupon we paid $99 for the 10x10 AND it went up in one day. The 10x17 on sale are ~$180, that's a pretty cheap framework. A bag of tee's for additional pipe is about $25 and 1" EMT is pretty cheap $350 - $400 in metal. Set it on a foundation of RR ties, bolt it down and it isn't going anywhere. May not be a bad way to go if you just want to get equipment out of the weather.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 4 Dec 2020 11:53

I had one that didn't make the year. But we are on top of a mountain in the great white north.

It made it through 60 mph winds and even 6" of snow. What did it in was an ice storm that followed a snow storm. It just couldn't handle the weight.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.