Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Vapor Barrier
GoinToClarksville
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 19:58

OK...quick question... I believe there is some sort of vapor barrier (tar paper) on the outside of my cabin under the cedar shingles, but not sure. Is it wrong or not a good idea to put a vapor barrier inside after I insullation. I 'm trying to keep the place from getting that musty smell when its closed during the week while I am not there. I have to figure out some sort of venilation too but at this point, I want to sort out the inside and outside walls. Any advise would be great.. thanks!

Martian
# Posted: 24 Apr 2011 07:54

Anytime you restrict airflow you create a space for condensation to occur. The condensation will lead to mold and even more problems.

There is a lot of debate about where to put vapor barriers. What it boils down to is where the cold air exist. For instance, down South where air conditioners cool the inside of the house, if a vapor barrier is used under the drywall, condensation will form on the insulation side of the barrier. Up North, it will form under the drywall. The drywall will dry out, but the insulation just stays wet.

Tom

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Apr 2011 20:00

Your insulation , if faced, will have a vapor barrier (of sorts). But if water is getting thru the outside paper, nothing you do inside will matter.......

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.