Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New cabin. Old experience.
Poorman
# Posted: 14 Feb 2021 03:53

New member. First off thanks to all for the knowledge I've gained here in the past. Just beginning construction on 32 x (almost)24 cabin. I've noticed several questions lately on builds using treated timbers for logs - 35 yrs ago I built 2 of them using PT/kiln dried 6x8's. No expert by any means but if anyone has questions I'd be happy to share personal experience. Thanks again for all the past knowledge and especially entertainment...

BobW
# Posted: 14 Feb 2021 12:38

Poorman-just the man to answer my questions.

1. Did you use butt and pass or notched corners?

2. If butt and pass, how did you seal between logs (timbers)?

3. If notched what type?

I have a really good price on 4X8 and 4X12 either planed or rough sawn. This looks like a good way to go. I may do a spring house as a trial.

Thanks

Bob

Poorman
# Posted: 14 Feb 2021 19:37

Hello BobW
1. I used butt-and-pass. It was especially easy with the squared timbers, I just set the depth on my circular saw, then made cuts every half-inch or so, then used a wood chisel to clean out the notch.
2. I did not seal between timbers at the time I built. The timbers laid together well enough that there were cracks that you could see light through but very little air movement. I lived in the cabin for about 12 months before I chinked everything up tight.

I was really very happy with both finished products.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.