Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Simulating a Simpson Deck Tension Tie
socceronly
# Posted: 4 Apr 2021 19:36 - Edited by: socceronly

Not sure why, but these things in these parts are worth more than gold.

I am curious how they work in principle if I were to try and replicated with a heavy duty bracket say and drill a hole for the bolt.

Do you want, in principle the bolt to pull the joist in?

Or does the metal just add rigidity?

Simpson DTT2

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2021 20:31

It is a code its trying to meet.

The DTT2 can be used to satisfy the IRC provision for a 1,500 lb. lateral load connection at two locations per deck. Additionally, the DTT2 has been tested and evaluated in deck guardrail post applications to resist the code-specified lateral forces at the top of railing assemblies. The DTT2 is also available with longer 2 1/2" Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (model DTT2Z-SDS2.5) to achieve higher loads when needed. The DTT2 fastens easily to the wide face of a single or double 2x using Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (included) and accepts a 1/2"-diameter bolt or anchor bolt.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Apr 2021 21:07 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: socceronly
Do you want, in principle the bolt to pull the joist in?

Not pull, but hold in place with no movement. Maybe just semantics but to me "pull" means to move something and hold means to, well, keep from moving.

The DTT2's are heavier gauge steel(14 ga I think) than most of the common Simpson brackets. The way they are bent and folded makes them able to resist more force than most 90 degree bent angle brackets, like the A66 even though the A66 is 12 gauge.

So yes, you could improvise and maybe come up with a solution that is as strong, but it would not meet code. I don't push code just because it is code, but I know that when it comes to something like securing a post for a deck guardrail or securing the lateral load for attaching a deck joist to the building, these DTT2 are engineered to do the job and one can find the tested load specs in the Simpson catalog. They make for a strong and safe deck-to-house connection when a DTT2 can be used both under the house floor and the deck with a threaded rod through the ledger connecting one DTT2 to the other. That is where most deck failures occur.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 06:44

Are we talking about this one?

If so $18 for two is hardly gold. Look up the price for a 6x6 post base. They cost about $22 each here and dont come with the bolt.

Ask your inspector but you may not pass inspection if you make your own metal connectors. If no inspection needed I would just buy a small piece of 3x2x1/4in angle and make them.
Screenshot_20210405.jpg
Screenshot_20210405.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 06:53

Also there is a way to get the same tension on a rod connected to your joists with no hanger, only blocking. This simpson bracket wouldnt be my first choice for a deck railing it really only looks like it would hold the post in one direction.

ICC
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 09:22 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Brettny
Are we talking about this one?

That is the one. They can be used as a hold down as pictured as well as a tension tie to secure a deck to a bldg. or secure a guardrail post to a deck structure.
DTT@Z
DTT@Z

socceronly
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 12:33 - Edited by: socceronly

Thanks guys.

I am building a deck for a bar on the street. Covid patio.

The city has said only one thing, and I have checked a couple of times. Build them nicer than last year. There is zero chance the building department has anything to do with any of this... yet...None of these things come close to being code or even shade of it. Most are downright ridiculous, a 2x4 with some rope for a railing which leads onto a busy street....

I feel though, since this is on a busy street I would rather it be safe. I also feel like there is a coming tragedy in the air and when it happens the city will come around and make all the decks be code.

The brackets are just not to be found anywhere around here right now. They actually have them on Amazon, so I'll probably use those.

EDIT: I just realized, that since all these decks are less than 23" off the ground they technically don't 'need' railings. But it seems irresponsible not to add a solid one along a busy road.

Thanks again.
JM

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 13:29

Since they cant be found have you thought about useing blocking? You can even have the same tension threaded rod with no metal connector and use blocking.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2021 13:34

The pic with the metal connector theres really nothing keeping you from running that threaded rod all the way though the next joist or adding more blocking parallel to the floor joists and useing a longer threaded rod.
tI3B7.png
tI3B7.png
Screenshot_20210405.jpg
Screenshot_20210405.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.