Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Bolting Detail
Jeremy165
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 21:44

Hi all,

I'm just about to start installing my rafters and I'm doing some final drawings and calculations... You can check out my thread - http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_996_0.html - its the 12x16 A-frame w loft.

I installed my 2x8 loft joists. Btw, they don't have a good hanger to go from 2x6 top plate to 2x joist. I might just have to hurricane tie it.

My cabin will have a steep pitch, I think it will be 20:12. I get lots of snow. I will build the 2x6 A-frame trusses on the deck with a gusset plate on top and maybe a temporary cross tie. The loft joists will be my permanent cross tie.

The rafter and the truss will be sitting face to face, and I plan on bolting through these. What is the best pattern to bolt my rafter and truss together? See my sketch - 3 bolts, 5 bolts. How many diameters should I stay away from the edges...?

Thanks!

jb
P4292755.JPG
P4292755.JPG
Bolting_Detail.pdfAttached file: Bolting_Detail.pdf

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 22:39 - Edited by: Gary O

Wel-l-l-l, Jeremy, you've been a busy beaver...oh, pardon me (Washington), make that Husky....

In working around structural engineers, I found that sometimes more is worse.
Internal radii are phenomenal strengtheners, but too much, and their integrity is compromised.
In this case, it would seem more bolts would add little (if any) strength, and would even weaken the members (too many, too close together).
Applying my logic, without anything to substantiate, I'd use just 3 bolts, but in a staggered pattern, to give multi-directional strength.
Be sure to drill those holes so the bolts have a bit of resistance getting thru (no slop), but not too tight.
It'd be interesting to see what the MtnDons (those in the know) have to say.......
bolt_pattern.jpg
bolt_pattern.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 23:09

Quoting: Jeremy165
How many diameters should I stay away from the edges...?

Forgot something.....
Equal distance between bolts and member edges.
And lock nuts with fender washers

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.