Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What do I need to make a 16x40 cabin shell liveable?
Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 12:00

Hello folks,

Some of you know so much about building and DIY and I am almost nothing. I figured that I studied the wrong stuff when I was younger and not what I really need in life.

Anyway, as my user name says, the home I am living in is falling into pieces. Floors cave in and my roof starts to do the same. However, I have space to build myself another small house on my lot.

I checked with contractors in my area but I am not getting many answers from them. Despite that it is their business to sell their houses and work, either they don't answer at all or I have to pull every little detail out of their noses. They don't volunteer any information. It is as if they work for some kind of freaking secret service or such! As if I asked for classified information. No kidding! Or they think I am a clueless lady and have 1800 minds and just want to talk to my husband instead of, who I don't have.

I have a couple of questions and I number them, so if some of you are so kind to answer, you just have to type the number and write your short answer behind it.

The situation: Someone in my county sells 16x40 shells of cabins with concrete plier foundation for USD 20.000. They dig the holes and place the thing on my lot.

My questions:

1) What would be the best solution for isolation?

2) Is it difficult or dangerous to apply isolation myself? The biggest construction project I ever did was driving a nail into a wall.

3) What would be the most afforable option to cover the walls after the isolation?

4) I was told that the floor of the cabin is 3/4 inch tongue and grove floor system made by LP. I don't know what a tongue is, except that one in my mouth.

5) What is the most affordable flooring that I need to put on top of the grove floor?

6) How much will it cost approx. to wire a home like this electrically? I am living in the mid-west of the states.

7) How much will it cost approx. to wire a home like this to power?

8) How much will it cost approx. to wire a home like this to water?

9) How much will it cost approx. to wire a home like this to the sewer?

10) Did I forget anything and how much will that cost approx?

Thanks already in advance to anyone who helps me.

Brettny
# Posted: 22 May 2021 15:36

All prices to basically anything your asking is far to local and home specific to really awnser. Also what's "livable" to one person isnt to another.

Isolation? Do you mean insulation? If so by far spray foam (you cant do this your self) is superior to many other types but its pricey.

20k for a 16x40ft shell is a prety good price depending on materials. You may also need to pay for permits and inspections, again to local for almost anyone to tell you the price.

frankpaige
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:07

Those "how much" are so speculative, I doubt anyone on here can give quotes on prices. Depends on what you want/require. Tying in to septic is going to be where the shell sits and how far is is the the septic connection.
You might ask around at the shell builder? If they know of electricians who might want the job? Same with plumbers.
Your knowledge can be increased by those wonderful YouTube videos. But, w/o basic carpenter's knowledge, it might take a bit longer to finish those chores.
Wish you the best. Those that have built that cabin, shabin or mansion knows, it feels good.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:08

Yes, I mean insulation. Sorry, didn't sleep much last night. Freaking insomnia.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:11

That is the problem. They don't give answers. Just like you guys, trying to get rid of my questions.

ICC
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:43 - Edited by: ICC

This comes in various thickness. 3/4 is common for a floor. It is meant to be under the finished flooring.

Unbranded T&G Oriented Strand Board (Common: 23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.; Actual: 0.703 in. x 47.75 in. x 95.75 in.)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/T-G-Oriented-Strand-Board-Common-23-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-A ctual-0-703-in-x-47-75-in-x-95-75-in-920924/100054132
SKU# 100054132

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 May 2021 17:46

You are asking questions which are very hard to answer and calculate. Even with a pre-built shell, which meets your regional "habitable structure" code requirements, there is so much more to consider.

Labour costs vary everywhere, the different trades, charge different rates.

Plumbing: what is needed, what materials will be used, what fixtures & fittings, will it be installed by a pro or DIY and labour costs.

Electrical: Similar to plumbing, we can figure that out, how many circuits, run lengths, amounts & grades of wiring, number of boxes, switches, plugs and MORE, licenses, inspections & fees as well.

Insulation, type & costs (Rockwool is the best of BATT type insulation), will you finish with drywall or not (not for the inexperienced), who will plaster & finish the drywall which is labour & time-consuming.

AS A GENERAL RULE in the form of Construction Shorthand if you will. The cost to finish a home from a basic "shell" to habitable is on average is Three Times the cost of the shell. AND - this is NOT FANCY, just the basic contractor grade using "bulk" fixtures, fittings, flooring, etc.. Like what you would see in a fast rental housing project being built.

$20K for the shell
$60K for basic finish by contractors & trades.
$## for electrical connection from home to Grid or ?
$## for the foundation
$## for Well / Water Main connection & Sewer or Septic Etc as required.

To give you one example, when I had my Well drilled, it cost me $35 per foot and it is 300 feet deep. + Casing & Seals. For an equivalent water pump at current US Cost is approximately $1200

I'm sorry it is not the answer you hoped for but I hope it helps you understand why it is so hard for anyone to answer to your satisfaction.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 22 May 2021 18:22

I don’t mean to be rude but it sounds like you will be in over your head to tackle this project by yourself. I have spent 20 years in the trades and I have made mistakes on my cabin that I will regret. I am not trying to discourage you but you will need some help. Every time I have worked on a project that was run by a homeowner either it was a complete disaster or they were taken advantage of.

I bought a shell and have been finishing it out myself. Shell was 24,000 and I probably have at least another 30,000 into it between wiring, plumbing, insulation, drywall, electric service, driveway, septic, and finish work. That is with me doing everything but the driveway myself.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 19:30

Thanks for your answers, Steve and Irrigation Guy.

With the shell for 20.000, the foundation, concrete plies are already included. The company is nearby and they think it is no problem getting a permit from the city.

I have power, city water, sewer already on my lot. Need no well.

I was wondering if there is something cheaper than drywall as I want to paint the walls or put some pine-knotted wood over the walls anyway.

And besides of carpet and laminate, what could I use to cover the floors?

If you think I am in over my head, which is possible, would you suggest then a small turn-key home to be cheaper or better?

But it must be a small home not a tiny home.

Any idea/suggestions where I could find/order one?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 19:32

Thanks, ICC. And I would like to know what floor covering I could put on it, except carpet. Any suggestion?

Brettny
# Posted: 22 May 2021 20:02

Why dont you contact the people making the shell of the building and ask about a totally finished building? That way you would need a septic( possibly if you couldn't tie into your current one) and permits.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 22 May 2021 20:47

They don't make any finished buildings. They just provide the shell and foundation.

mj1angier
# Posted: 23 May 2021 07:42

Couple questions:

Where is it going to located-county and state? That can make a big difference in price and in the kind of service you will get right now. Here in NC you can't get anyone to bid on a house right now- between price/ availability of materials and the demand that's out there..

Have you looked at any of the modular pre-fab cabins? They come as turn key all the way down to just a shell.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 23 May 2021 11:07

Hi,

I'm in Missouri. Thanks for the tip with modular pre-fab cabins. I will google them.

pabear89
# Posted: 23 May 2021 13:17

Have you looked into the Tiny home?
They are a in the middle of Rv and Mobile home size.
A ready to move in with connections to power/water/sewer systems.
May be your best cost effective for the non dyi'r.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 23 May 2021 13:24

Hi,

Thanks. Tiny homes are too small for me as I do get visitors that stay often for months. I need a small not a tiny home.

ICC
# Posted: 23 May 2021 17:15

What sort of city/town/county regulations must be met? There are usually permits for the building, electrical, plumbing, heating, possibly insulation amounts, and so on. Some places are lax on enforcement but the local rules can influence what you do legally.

Quoting: Myoldhomefallsapart
Thanks, ICC. And I would like to know what floor covering I could put on it

There are lots of non-carpet choices. Flooring is a personal choice. I like ceramic tile and have used it almost exclusively throughout the interior of my home. I know people who were able to leave the subflooring, painted, until they could afford what they actually wanted.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 May 2021 20:57

There are companies that make 'factory built' homes inside, in controlled environment and to code for your area. Because of max road width travel regulations they come in two long halves that they set on your pre-made foundation/basement and join together.
There are several grades of finish quality and appointments. They are called 'modular' or 'sectional' homes here. They are not just glorified house trailers/mobil or non-mobil homes, but real houses.
But lots of people do live in 'mobil homes', can you place one on your property and tear down the falling down one?
Be aware that right now lumber prices/all building materials are at an all time high. A base pre-built shell is going to be a lot more expensive than a year ago and so will everything else you need to do to live in it and finish it. Without the tools and skill set you are going to be overwhelmed. Really.
But, for some numbers, very out of date and quite some years back we priced a factory built, modest modular home.
The home $80,000
The basement to put it on $20,000
Extra stuff you need but dont think about $10,000
We would have needed a well, septic and elec run, you say you dont but do you know they wont require you to do a new well and septic for this? Even if not there will be costs to run and hook up to the new place. You will need to hire pro's to do that. Cost in your area? No idea.
From what Ive been hearing here, the costs above I mentioned are easily 50% higher right now.
My conclusion was that buying a place ready to live in and fixing it up was more cost effective. And it was.
Please dont think we are being evasive. The plain truth is that if the contractors in your area cant or wont tell you how in the world can we far away.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 24 May 2021 14:59

Thanks, gcrank, for your input. I appreciate it.

Nothing what anyone wrote is encouraging.

I can build my new home right next to my old one, which has power, water, sewer. My lot allows three houses and just one is on it.

I can get from an Amish community a new 16x40 house shell with foundation.

I just have to fix it up on the inside and hire some companies it to the utilities and sewer.

Or find a company that offers a factory built home.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 24 May 2021 15:06

I live in the country in the Midwest, 2 hours away from Kansas City. Our city does not want us to build high buildings and mow our lawns. Otherwise they are giving a rat's tail what is going inside of a house.

I didn't knew that one can paint a floor, ICC. What kind of paint is that?

ICC
# Posted: 24 May 2021 15:36

Sherwin-Williams makes wood floor paint, as do other paint companies.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 May 2021 15:38

Floor paint. Idk what different but is most likely high gloss.
I have also seen the sub floor sanded, or use a bit higher grade than sub floor grade plywood and use a polyurethane or stain on it.

The price to wire and insulate is mostly set. Insulation can vary some what but where your going to make or break the bank is how the place is finished. For instance for the walls paneling is cheap and easy to put up, tongue and grove pine is expensive and needs to be stained. Then in the middle is drywall, but this needs to be spackled and sanded, then painted.

ICC
# Posted: 24 May 2021 16:50

Quoting: Brettny
Floor paint. Idk what different but is most likely high gloss.

Satin from S-W Also Gloss available. This is a waterborne acrylic, not an oil, so easier to cleanup, and not as smelly. It stands up to abrasion, foot traffic better than wall paint. My old wood barn shop floor was painted with it.

mj1angier
# Posted: 25 May 2021 21:17

https://hilltopstructures.com/cabins/pioneer-cabin/

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 28 May 2021 18:27

Thank you all. I learned something. There is paint for floors. And even gloss.

ICC, what do you do when your floor has print on it, e.g. the name of manufacturer or a product number?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 28 May 2021 18:33

mj1angier, nice cabins, but the delivery will be pricey, I assume, if you live further away than 50 miles. And the foundation seems not included. Or am I wrong?

mj1angier
# Posted: 29 May 2021 10:28

No you would need a footer poured by a local. They will put it on blocks on top of the footer and strap down.

You might find a company like this more local to you. It is a way to get a quick livable space that does not need a lot of DIY

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 29 May 2021 12:20

Thanks, mjanguier.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 17:57

mjangier, I don't need a full basement or even a concrete pad, I assume but footers should be enough?

In winter, it gets pretty cold here. Can footers crack and cause uneven floors?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.