Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Leveling a Cabin
matt112
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 13:55

Going to be leveling a sagging corner in the cabin with bottle jacks. Any idea what size of jacks would be needed? I was thinking 12 ton but wondering if that will be enough to get the job done. The cabin measures about 20x35ft

matt112
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 13:56

Here is a picture
176967620_1557483491.jpeg
176967620_1557483491.jpeg

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 14:37

IF you are just renting one, get a 20-25 Ton unit and whatever you do, make sure it is on a solid "pad" so it doesn't sink. BTDT ! Ohh no fun !

IF you have anything big & heavy in the corner you want to lift, it's better to move it... If you don't and you hear creaks OR worse cracks, STOP !

DO NOT GET UNDER the cabin when on a Jack !
Do make a Pilon with criss crossed Large Lumber to slip under the rim in case the jack goes, so the cabin only drops an inch or so, just enough to save the cabin and your butt.

Murphy's Laws love to be applied to such adventures.

spencerin
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 19:18

How many jacks do you plan on using?

Fanman
# Posted: 16 Jun 2021 20:50

Hah! Our cabin was about 8" out of level across the 18' of the living room alone, and (of course) the low spot was near the middle, where the cabin is only maybe 18" above grade. I had to slither in like a snake on my stomach with what I think was a 20 ton jack. I'd make a couple pumps, listen to the terrifying creaking sounds above my head while I squirted back out like toothpaste from a tube, wait until the sounds stopped, then repeat for another couple of pumps. My daughter stood by ready to call 911. Once I got to the point where the windows closed properly again, even though it still wasn't level I declared it "good enough".

A corner, by contrast, should be easy!

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 05:12

@Fanman, LMAO Toothpaste squirt indeed, great description. I've been in many situations of lifting stuff, like when I was levelling up the floor in my previous house during Reno (built in 1896 Baloon framed house). Some cracks don't bother BUT some... boy they can sure Make ya Move FAST ! There is that Gut-Wrenching sound when in that situation that kicks the adrenaline into overload.

BTW, There is ONE RULE I skipped around once and $$ OUCH $$ but could have been much worse... Lift is small increments and slowly. Allow to settle between lifts of 1". MOST IMPORTANTLY, the older the structure the more patience is required, warped / deformed beams under pressure that are "set" over time Can & Will Crack if moved too fast. No if's no and's and no but's about it. Like the Old House Reno, 1 week sit for every inch up... lesson learned after 1st lift as to why.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:18

I had a big hump in my living room floor once. I added a beam and lowered another. It took nearly 1yr for the creaking and poping to stop at night..and that was only a 1in tall hump. Be prepared to wait.

matt112
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 07:56

Thanks for all the insight, and I was hoping to use probably 6 jacks, (currently have three 8 ton jacks and was thinking of picking up a few 12 ton)

Royalwapiti
# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 22:23

How did it go?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.