Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Any tips for metal buildings?
WILL1E
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 09:48

We're growing out of the enclosed trailer we are using as a garage/storage and the Shelterlogic is also full. So i'm going to build one of those Versatube metal framed and roof/sided garages.

Not planning on any access doors or windows, just the main garage door. It will be placed on gravel and we are leaning towards a charcoal gray color to match the eventual cabin.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips when building these types of structures? I'm already planning to have the steel sheet material cut to full length vs. lapping 2 shorter pieces like Menards sells them. So that should eliminate 1 potential leak spot. Anything else anyone can think of? Do i need any venting to help prevent condensation? Was wondering if laying reflectix (silver bubble stuff) over the frame before installing the steel panels would help anything?

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 19:27

Why not build regular pole barn?

ICC
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 20:31 - Edited by: ICC

Condensation. Depends on a few variables. How is the building to be used? Strictly storage with no moisture releasing activities? Even several hours of use by a person working inside might produce sufficient moisture to have condensation sometimes occur. And at times enough moisture can come out of the floor/earth.

Is the climate humid or dry?

I think ventilation is a good idea in any building, especially if it is not insulated and not heated or cooled.

Give some thought to having an overhead door on front and back walls. Being able to drive through can be very handy, depending on size and available surrounding space. I also like skylight panels in the roof; the bigger the building the more I like them.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Jun 2021 20:37

And I don't think the reflective foil stuff is worth the cost.

WILL1E
# Posted: 18 Jun 2021 08:14

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
Why not build regular pole barn?
Lumber cost outweigh the cost of the metal frame.

Quoting: ICC
How is the building to be used?

Storage of ATV's, golf carts, tractor, etc. I may have a workbench in there but no long durations of work.

Is the climate humid or dry?

We have humid summers and cold winters here in WI.

I think ventilation is a good idea in any building, especially if it is not insulated and not heated or cooled.

What's the best way to ventilate this style building. Lourvered vents on the front and back gable walls?

The location won't work for double doors. I would like to do the skylights, but those panels max out at 11' long. The building is 18' long and i don't want to have seams running lengthwise. Or, are you referring to other types of skylights besides the panel style that match the corrugation of the steel?

ICC
# Posted: 18 Jun 2021 08:50

Butyl rubber double sided adhesive tapes seal panel to panel edges and genuine butyl rubber tape does not dry out. Use that for inserting light panels. I have not had leaks when that tape is used.

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Jun 2021 11:10

I think clear pannels running horizontal on the roof will be next to impossible to get any useable light from very quickly. They get dirty real fast.

Condensation happens when theres a great temperature change between the things in the building and the air. A well vented building wont condense.

WILL1E
# Posted: 18 Jun 2021 12:14

Maybe some small solar powered fans on each gable wall would help move the air through a bit? Otherwise i don't know how i would vent this type of building.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/sheds-accessories/carports-portable-garages/ver satube-reg-20w-x-18l-x-7-6h-fully-enclosed-steel-shelter-material-list/1901470/p-1444 422315892-c-5860.htm?tid=6485702260409905073&ipos=60

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.