Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Confused about insulation
khart1844
# Posted: 28 Jul 2021 10:43

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum so hopefully I can find the answers I am looking for.
We bought a house in NH that had a really lame chicken coop on the property. The location was bad so I built a coop for my wife in another location. I decided to turn the original coop into a wood turning shop but the further along I got I couldn't help but envision it as a quiet study cave.
I increased the pitch of the roof, knocked out the middle wall, and added 6ft additional space on the back end.

Here is my question (and you can see in the pictures). The original walls were oak planks (not tongue and groove) and you could see outside in-between them.
'I wrapped the whole cabin in tyvex and sheethed with smart siding (like t1-11). On the inside I tyvexed everything and then used oak planks (not tongue and groove) over top. So, there is no insulation in the walls at all.

My question is...how do I keep the humidity low? Do I just put a couple gable vents near each peak? There are no real soffits and the open air is bringing lots of humidity inside. I read elsewhere that the soffits need to be closed off so a dehumidifier or AC could bring humidity down.

Sorry to ramble so much. Don't ask me why I didn't insulate. I know really old homes had none and that most of the heat is lost through the roof anyhow.
As it was when we got it
As it was when we got it
The middle wall and see through exterior
The middle wall and see through exterior
20210307_152947.jpg
20210307_152947.jpg
where I am at now
where I am at now

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:18

Gable vents are for attics. If you want to lower humidity, you don't need more outside vents. Once you have all the air leaks sealed, use a dehumidifier plumbed to the outside.

khart1844
# Posted: 29 Jul 2021 18:54

Thanks for the input.
I had read that elsewhere but wanted to be sure.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jul 2021 22:56

Quite a transformation, inside at least
Hope you can get it sorted.
I know at home we just close things up in the humid summer and use fans, open windows for cross-flow ventilation only brings in more humid air.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.