Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / window cracking
Alexis
# Posted: 7 Aug 2008 00:41

Hello,

I have a question about the deck block... I understand that it's easy to adjust them if there is frost eave, but won't the frost heave make the building work and the window crack and the door don't shut...?

thanks

Alexis

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Aug 2008 10:23 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

I thought about it.

I actually made cabin frame after I had collected all my (second-hand) windows, so I could build it around the windows.

I have made wall frame such that there are 1/2 - 1" gaps on each side of the window (you suppose to do it anyway) - but I didn't install them very rigidly, so windows have some wiggle room to 'float' when cabin frame moves (two thin nails on each side, at the angle).
Then I stuffed gaps with insulation material and installed wooden planks around window frames so they wouldn't fall out.

Keep in mind that plywood/OSB/Smart panels have great shear strength and keep cabin frame solid. Walls sidings made of wooden boards along wouldn't have that.

I also installed diagonal support 2x4"s in the corners of the wall frame, just in case.

Anyway, that was my solution. It has been several winters since - windows and doors are OK.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.