Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Self-leveling Concrete
spencerin
# Posted: 24 Aug 2021 00:49 - Edited by: spencerin

I'm considering using self-leveling concrete to fill the bottom of a pit (it's really a vertically-installed 18"-diameter double-walled pipe without a bottom) to keep water from entering the pit from below. Would this seal the seams where it meets the pipe wall? Or, would I need to use concrete caulk? Also, the thickness of the pour will vary because the substrate is uneven. Just wondering if this seems like a good idea or not.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Aug 2021 08:01

Concrete isnt water proof. This is for a pump pit of a non submersible pump? Cant you find a submersible pump?

spencerin
# Posted: 24 Aug 2021 10:08

Yes. Can't do a submersible pump without significant additional rework/cost. The existing pit already has a drain installed, but I'm looking for ways to better seal it up. Isn't concrete essentially waterproof provided there are no cracks or unsealed seams for water to enter?

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Aug 2021 15:45

If the water you are talking about is groundwater that fluctuates in elevation during the year, it is probably going to find a way past that concrete.

Given that you wouldn't need a lot so it wouldn't be that expensive, I'd give it a try. If your groundwater issues are short term it might work well enough to make a difference.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.