Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Doomed to have mold in PNW?
pnwstma
# Posted: 9 Sep 2021 18:37

I have searched high and low and am still confused about ventilation and mold prevention in a non-heated cabin with no electricity in the PNW. Hoping someone might be able to help. My biggest objective is to avoid that moldy/musty smell associated with infrequently used spaces.

Cabin Details: 14x17 gable roof with loft, located in the Pacific Northwest near a lake in a shady area. Obviously quite rainy in the fall and winter, but not often snowy. Foundation would be piers. No electricity or running water. Used May through September for weekend trips, perhaps one trip in the offseason. Lots of windows planned (like two full walls of windows)

Questions:
1. Should I insulate? Because it's in a shaded forest and we're temperate here, the summers wouldn't get too hot (and if so, we can just jump in the lake!). I'm leaning towards not insulating because I'm thinking it might reduce the likelihood of mold (by making the temperature inside and outside more similar) - does that sound like an accurate assumption?
2. I've heard ventilation is key - thinking of having a ridge vent, soffit vents, and a vent in the floor. I was debating just creating a hole in the floor with many layers of hardware cloth to prevent pests from getting in (think like an AC floor vent in a house). I'm worried that because it's so wet outside that all these vents would actually make it more damp. Is it better to have the vents for ventilation or are there certain areas of the country where too many vents is a recipe for disaster?
3. Is there any other way to prevent humidity buildup for months at a time, in a shaded area (no solar power), and without electricity? Am I doomed?

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Sep 2021 16:27

Are you going to have high windows that are covered by the roof overhangs you can leave open?

pnwstma
# Posted: 10 Sep 2021 16:39

Thanks for responding! I was thinking of that; either small windows I can leave open or vents that have a damper. I guess my biggest question is if there's a scenario where ventilation lets moisture in if living in a humid area?

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Sep 2021 19:23

The humidity is what it is and theres not much you can do about that without central AC. I'm thinking more about condensation. You can get interior condensation if you dont vent and the temp changes quick from cold to warm.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 14 Sep 2021 17:45

When I started to insulate my cabin (had to for code inspection) is exactly when I started...and am still...having problems with mold. If you don't need to insulate...don't do it...you're right...an uninsulated cabin takes on the temp of the outside much easier and equalizes to reduce mold.
Add some ventilation and yo should be good to go!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.