Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Add Vapor Barrier?
spencerin
# Posted: 17 Sep 2021 21:56 - Edited by: spencerin

I added metal skirting to my cabin recently, and only after that was done (of course) did I learn that vapor barrier underneath is often advised. On the one hand, I have no ventilation under it, but on the other hand, the cabin is on a grade and on piers (no standing water) and in a wide open space (good sun and wind exposure). I also have a vapor barrier between the floor joists and subfloor (Reflectix) with the seams taped and no actual insulation (which would retain moisture).

Does a vapor barrier seem necessary here? Or more like something to do if I want to?

This question reminds me of my dad's place. It's on a cinderblock crawlspace with vents and a vapor barrier, but his cabin is in the middle of the woods and on flat land with fiberglass batt insulation underneath. I think those factors could be why it's always been humid under there. But even so, there's been no mold or other damage to the place over 50+ years beyond some disintegrating insulation.

Brettny
# Posted: 18 Sep 2021 08:04

The only thing I can think of that would be harmed would be your floor joists and any other wood. The reflectex is a vapor barrier.

If you see issues I may make vents that you can open in the spring and close in the fall.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 Sep 2021 10:17

I thought about potential harm to the wood, but it's all PT wood. I'll keep an eye on the fasteners over time, I guess. I'll get under there at some point and see what it feels like.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.