Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood stove chimney support through wall
Grizzlyman
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 20:51 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Hi all.

I’m sure I’m not the first to wonder about this.

I’m routing my wood stove through the wall. I bought the typical support bracket but that doesn’t give me enough clearance to clear the roof overhang

I’d really prefer to just go horizontally past the roof overhang instead of cutting through the roof- which means I need about 18” sticking out of the wall before the Tee.

Anyone done this? How’d you support the chimney? My chimney is going to be only 2-3 36” sections of insulated pipe- so not terribly heavy but still probably over 100 lbs.

Is this done? Or should I just bite the bullet and go through the roof.

Thanks in advance

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 20:58

You could use 2 45 degree elbows to clear your overhang.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 21:03 - Edited by: gcrank1

Through the wall/gable is rarely good for draft, and a woodstove draft is critical.
I understand the attractiveness of the idea, and so did the prev owner of my current cabin we bought Aug 1, 2020, but try as I might I could not get consistent results. Had woodstove experience, put my stack through the roof on Cabin I in '83-'84, but this one gave me back-drafts/down-drafts and sometimes a decent draft....until it wasnt. Control was dismal.
This is pretty much the word on the wood-stove forums too, though sometimes somebody gets 'lucky' (never seems to be me).
I looked at similar to what you propose even so, and it is likely a good thing that it was more complicated And expensive than I expected so I went LP. That and my ins. co. wont insure with a wood stove.
It became clear to me that If I did a wood stove it would have to be through the roof, and that near the peak to get the stack high enough above the ridge without a bunch of guy-wires/braces, etc.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 21:20

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
You could use 2 45 degree elbows to clear your overhang.

So how would you support this?

darz5150
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 21:37

I've got the setup like your describing.
I have a 2 foot overhang, and ran the vert pipe past that. I took small stainless steel cable. Wrapped it all the way around the pipe, right below the fascia board. Lifted it up enough to keep it centered thru the wall thimble. It takes all the weight off the pipe and thimble. I used 1 inch strips of aluminum, and ran that side to side on the outside of the fascia, to keep the upper stack from racking side to side.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 21:41 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Quoting: darz5150
that. I took small stainless steel cable. Wrapped it all the way around the pipe, right below the fascia board. Lifted it up enough to keep it centered thru the wall thimble. It takes all the weight off the pipe and thimbl

Genius. Did you just use a longer piece through the thimble to the tee? Like a 36” piece?

darz5150
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 21:59

I got about 5 feet overall. 2 inside 3 outside. Give or take. Also people talk about it not drafting correctly. You can put a slight upslope from the inside/out. I've never had a problem. I haven't replaced any pipe for 10 years or so. The only thing I have replaced, is the cap at the bottom of the T. I put the T on as a clean out. I can just pop the bottom cap off to run the brush through the vert pipe. Then I disconnect the T from the pipe coming out from the stove. I can swing it out of the way to run a rope/brush from the stove to the outside.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 22:45 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Quoting: darz5150
I took small stainless steel cable. Wrapped it all the way around the pi

It occurs to me that I could just use a wall strap as a Sort of hanging bracket. to attach cables to the horizontal stove piece from the wall to the tee

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 07:25

Quoting: Grizzlyman
So how would you support this?

With the standard bracket and then strap it to the fascia above the 45s
8136D8C27D7A41868.jpeg
8136D8C27D7A41868.jpeg

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 07:46

Quoting: Irrigation Guy

With the standard bracket and then strap it to the fascia above the 45s

Thanks IG. Gotcha I see. Makes perfect sense. I had the impression you had meant straight out of the thimble with two 45’s to make a big open loop of 90 degrees total.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 07:53

Thought I’d share this picture to help. Not a lot of room.
17E20FC1608F425F8.jpeg
17E20FC1608F425F8.jpeg

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 09:39

After seeing the picture I think a longer piece through the thimble then hang the tee from the rafter tails

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.