Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Where to split the rim board?
WILL1E
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 15:32

Cabin is 32' long and 16" OC joists. The rim joist will need a seam on the front side and backside of the cabin.

1. Should the seam fall directly on a joist or should it be between 2 joist and be plated on one side?

2. Can the seam of the rim board be at the same spot on both sides of the of the joist assembly, or should i stagger it one side vs the other?

BRADISH
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 15:47 - Edited by: BRADISH

I ran into the same problem on mine. Two seams were parallel to the joist run (load bearing walls), one was perpendicular (non load bearing wall).

On the parallel runs I used 4' of rimboard as a backer on the inside, glued it well and then nailed the crap out of it from both sides. For my layout, it made sense that they both be on the same end of the cabin - otherwise one would have fell where I needed the rim to be somewhat structural (holding joist hangers) and the other would have ended up under a doorway. I preferred the seams to be under a static wall for these.

On the seam that was perpendicular to the joist runs, made the seam fall between two joist rather than on a joist line. Figured it would be far stronger that way. I used a backer of rim board that fit between the joists, glued and nailed. However this was only cantileavered 8" out, and I used joist blocking on the support beam across the entire beam span so that gave me further confidence in the setup. It really shouldn't be bearing too much weight because of this.

WILL1E
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 15:58

Quoting: BRADISH
On the seam that was perpendicular to the joist runs, made the seam fall between two joist rather than on a joist line. Figured it would be far stronger that way. I used a backer of rim board that fit between the joists, glued and nailed. However this was only cantileavered 8" out, and I used joist blocking on the support beam across the entire beam span so that gave me further confidence in the setup. It really shouldn't be bearing too much weight because of this.

This is the scenario i'm in. I like your idea. Did you just construction adhesive?

BRADISH
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 16:01

Quoting: WILL1E
This is the scenario i'm in. I like your idea. Did you just construction adhesive?

Yup. I just used the liquid nails heavy duty adhesive. Clamped it in place with quick clamps (a Godsend if you're working alone) to hold it while I shot some nails in there.

I figured 8" of glue/nails on each side would be far superior to a nail or two in 3/4" of board to a joist if the seam met on it.

BRADISH
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 16:04

It is fair to note that I am under no building code/jurisdiction in my area for my cabin though. I have NO idea whether this would meet code or not, it's just the best way I could think of doing it.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Sep 2021 17:43

Splice rim joists between floor joist ends on the long side. Use a length of the same size material as blocking behind the splice and between the two joists on either side of the splice. No need to use glue; that just creates profits for the big corporation. In fact unless you clamp the two layers together to really squish the glue bead truly flat it may be a worse splice than without glue. I would usually cut the rim joist material ends with the miter saw; 45 degrees. You can create a splice that is visually nicer that way.

WILL1E
# Posted: 21 Sep 2021 08:06

Thanks everyone!

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Sep 2021 20:30

A rim joist isnt really structural so it shouldnt matter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.