Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Carpenter Bees?
Anonymous
# Posted: 15 May 2011 22:44

I really hate these flying beavers!!! How do you prevent them from chewing on your cabin?

bobrok
# Posted: 16 May 2011 10:22

I don't know how to prevent them from chewing, but if you already have an infestation I'll share what I've learned and have been able to get rid of them at my house. Let me know.

Ann
# Posted: 24 May 2011 13:36

Some carpenter bees are just getting started on my newly built cabin! I called pest control, but I've read that there is no effective preventive treatment.

My brother sprays Gum Cutter carburator cleaner into holes at his house -- the bees buzz for a second or two and fall out dead. I tried it and the bees fell out immediately. I even got one in mid air. But this does not seem environmentally friendly, or like a longer term solution.

I found some traps online. Does anyone know whether they work?

http://www.amazon.com/awvac-Carpenter-Bees-Trap/dp/B002Z3EY8Y

rayyy
# Posted: 25 May 2011 20:23

I hate them things too.I have gone out after dark and sprayed each hole but that is a pain in the a--,,,neck.I'm curious as to if those traps are just like a fly bait jar?Once they get in they can't figure out how to get out.I will experiement with this idea and try it.I would love to find the answer.

smitty
# Posted: 26 May 2011 01:40

Having problems with them too here in town..
They were really aggressive yesterday while I was trying to grill.
Thinking about getting a trap for them. But not going to be here long so not sure I should bother... They don;t really come out and sting you. The males just buzz your head. But they don't have a stinger. The females can sting, but usually leave you alone.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 May 2011 10:36

Ann, use Drione, they wont be back! The stuff pros use, can find on the net.

Vince P
# Posted: 28 May 2011 22:08

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
use Drione, they wont be back!

Haven't heard of that one, but then everything I've tried didn't work, except physically whacking them! Even then, I've seen them "resurrect" themselves hours later to resume their devastation.
Another thing to consider is to fill any holes that the female makes. She is laying eggs in there and typically checks on them routinely. What to fill with is the question. I've tried caulk, and they ate it. I've tried wood glue and they ate it. I've tried several types of epoxy and they ate it. Believe it or not, the only thing that worked for me was "Sealer Mate" used for sealing aluminum raingutters together. Go figure.

bobrok
# Posted: 29 May 2011 18:46

Somebody once told me about something called "oakum" to seal the bore hole. Not sure if the spelling is correct. Anyone else heard of this?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 May 2011 00:11

http://www.bugsaway.com/drione_dust.htm

The link above mentions carpenter bees! Use Drione, they will be done!

mrmiji
# Posted: 31 May 2011 08:18

From bugsaway.com:

Carpenter Bees

BIOLOGY OF CARPENTER BEES:

Carpenter bees get their name from their ability to drill through wood and nest in it. Their drilling will create a nearly perfect hole approximately 1/2 inch in diameter. This hole is usually located on the underside of any wood surface including siding, soffits, overhangs, decks, fence posts, fascia boards and window frames. Although the hole appears to be only an inch or two deep, it doesn't end there. The female will turn 90 degrees and bore a channel from 6 inches to as long as 4 feet. This channel serves as a main corridor from which she will drill small chambers a few inches deep. These chambers become egg holders. She will deposit an egg, bring in some food, and then seal it off to ensure the egg's development. Click on this link to see the damage they did to one of our customer's decks.
The male spends most of his time flying around the nest playing guard. This is ironic as nature has left him ill prepared; he has no stinger! Only the female can sting. Simply killing the male will not solve your problem. TO ELIMINATE CARPENTER BEES YOU MUST TREAT THE NEST WITH DRIONE.

TREATMENT OF CARPENTER BEES:

To treat the carpenter bee holes use Drione Dust and a Crusader Duster. As the female enters the hole she will drag the dust into the nest and kill all the larvae, or there will be dust still there and active to kill any emerging juvenile carpenter even months later. (Just spraying the holes will probably kill the adult bees, but spraying will not kill all the larvae. You must use a dust.) If you must kill the harmless male carpenter bee then use a Wasp and Hornet Aerosol.

To prevent future drilling of new holes in the wood spray with cypermethrin twice during the spring, 3 weeks apart. Cypermethrin insecticide is excellent in controlling a variety of pests including spiders, ants and big roaches.
Order Your Carpenter Bee Control Products Here:

Crusader Duster
Drione Dust
Wasp and Hornet spray
Viper, contains cypermethrin, larger sizes of cypermethrin are available.

You people have my sympathy. I only have ticks, an occasion wasp that's easy to defeat and the rare scorpion.

Ann
# Posted: 31 May 2011 14:35

Quoting: bobrok
Somebody once told me about something called "oakum" to seal the bore hole. Not sure if the spelling is correct. Anyone else heard of this?

I've heard that you should fill the holes with steel wool and then wood filler.

UltraViolet
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 12:20

We spray WD40 in the holes. Knocks 'em dead.
I've heard Formula 409 kitchen cleanser will do the same.

neb
# Posted: 27 Jun 2011 22:29

Use ether and they will be gone.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.