Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Nailing ?'s
WILL1E
# Posted: 27 Sep 2021 14:20

So the minimum fastener chart for WI says to use 2-16d nails at 16" OC to attach the wall sole plate to the joist or blocking. If my wall studs and floor joist are both at 16" centers, and i build the wall laying on the floor of the cabin, the joists will be blocked by the wall studs when i stand the wall up.

So do i toenail the 16d's into the joist, or do i just nail to the rim joist?

snobdds
# Posted: 27 Sep 2021 16:03

You can toe nail them in. Also put some into your rim board / Beam.

The building will be in compression loading and the nailing is not holding in any shear loads. So it's mainly to keep the wall from moving on the bottom. The sheeting should extend below the floor to lock everything in.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Sep 2021 05:51

I would also nail to both. Shooting nails in with a gun is very easy and cheap. This is something I would screw down in a few places until all 4 walls are up then square up everything, even the top plates then go around and nail the hell out of everything

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.