Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Can someone show me a picture (vertical siding)
neb
# Posted: 16 May 2011 22:11

Can someone show me a picture of the vertical siding that would stand up to the weather. I don't want to sheet the walls then put on siding. I know it would be the best way but would like just to sheet and use it as an exterior siding as well. I will not be living here full time but would send a night or so there form time to time. I need a place at times to hang my hat. Would this work and what material should I use.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 May 2011 22:47

Is your building built with conventional stick framing? The only vertical pattern, without structural sheathing underneath, I can think of is something like LP Smartside or Hardie board, and not all the types of the LP product are suitable for use as a structural material. The OSB or plywood sheathing acts to give the wall shear strength, strength against racking under wind loads for example. Vertical board and batten is often done with a pole barn where there are 2x's running horizontally. Those buildings get much of their anti-racking strength from the poles sunk in the ground.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 May 2011 22:58

neb, i would sheath sides with 1/2 osb. house wrap oir felt paper, run board and batten---6 to 10" wide boards in vertical postion, and over the cracks between the board strip with 2 inch wide stips, and stain to protect from the elements.
i am going to use t&g logs siding, PT or yellow pine and stain.I really like the way board and batten looks..............and cypress board and batten looks great and is $$$$$......

neb
# Posted: 16 May 2011 23:22

Yep, both of you are right on this. I'm just trying to get this shack up as soon as I can and yo are right I shouldn't take short cuts. I don't want to spend a whole lot but want it to take the weather. I can get high winds so I do know for strenght it is the way to go.

Borrego
# Posted: 17 May 2011 22:37

yeah, I just did this... 3/8 OSB under the paper, then Hardie Siding

Just
# Posted: 17 May 2011 23:21

Wy not G1S exterior ply wood single skin I'v built two that way works fine !!Caulk and strap all joints .house rap under the plywood .. paint or stain !

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2011 16:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: neb
Can someone show me a picture of the vertical siding that would stand up to the weather. I don't want to sheet the walls then put on siding. I know it would be the best way but would like just to sheet and use it as an exterior siding as well. I will not be living here full time but would send a night or so there form time to time. I need a place at times to hang my hat. Would this work and what material should I use.

If you want vertical siding, you have to sheet it to get your shear strength. Use an OSB or plywood. Usually a 1/2" minimum. The veritcal siding gives it some, but not much. And the vertical siding will look wavvy also between the studs. Then you have yellow jackets building nest from getting under the cracks to the open stud walls etc. If you want a vertical siding, I suppose an T1-11 on its side ????

dvgchef
# Posted: 18 May 2011 23:50

Neb;
I had a similar desire for a fast build of a place to stay infrequently. I built a stick frame with 2 by 6 and covered with T1-11, insulated, and covered interior with 1/8th" luan ply. No tar paper, no plastic wrap, no multiple levels of exterior covering. Granted, I did a lousy paint job, but the T1-11 has stood up to its first winter and seems fine. It was an absolute breeze to put on with a nail gun and a second pair of hands.
Good luck!
cabin shot
cabin shot

fpw
# Posted: 19 May 2011 11:02 - Edited by: fpw

Board and batten, easy, quick, can nail it up green. You have to install some horiziontal nailers, but that doesn't take much. This siding was done with 3/4" material (7" boards with 4" battens).
Board and Batten Siding
Board and Batten Siding

neb
# Posted: 19 May 2011 20:59

Great ideas and thanks. I'm not sure what to do now.

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 3 Jul 2011 20:58

I've seen lots of T1-11 and board & batten up here, and it holds up pretty darn good with a little care. If you're somewhere really rainy or don't have large overhangs, you might want to wrap your framing with tarpaper or housewrap before installing the nailers or siding, just for a little extra weather barrier.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.